SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 07-12-07, 09:54 AM   #1
Warthog

Default Car suspension question

I see some people here are pretty savvy about cars too, so I wondered if anyone could answer a question I have? I recently gave my car in to the garage because the front suspension was knackered. They replaced a few items and now the steering feels much better, much tighter and doesn't squeak and knock anymore. Only problem is that under acceleration, the car now pulls right. If I don't steer when I accelerate it pulls me into oncoming traffic! Is it easy to adjust the suspension so that it goes straight, or do I need to take it back to the garage and get them to readjust it?

It is a front wheel drive Ford Ka 1.3. Thank you!
Old 07-12-07, 10:03 AM   #2
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Default Re: Car suspension question

Sounds more like a tracking / steering issue rather than one with the suspension itself.

I'd take it back and get them to check the tracking first if it was me.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-07, 10:08 AM   #3
caz650s

Please take it back to garage AS SOON AS POSSIBLE ,

If it did not pull before the work was done it sounds like they may not have set up the steering geometry correctly ! .... and it is not always just the basic 'tracking' that needs doing ...if in doubt go to a Tyre Depot and have a full 4 wheel alignment check done .

Hope this helps and you get it sorted asap.
Old 07-12-07, 10:46 AM   #4
Daimo

YEah, first step, get the tracking done at a decent garage. Preferably with a laser alligner.

If that doesn't solve the problem, it means the suspension turret hasn't been alligned right and could prove quite a problem!!!!!! I.E needs to go back today!!!

Drive along at 60-70mph. If the stearing wheel shudders all over the place, it sounds like the trackings out. If not, its the other and needs to be checked.
Old 07-12-07, 10:58 AM   #5
DoubleD

+1 on the 4 wheel alignment and tracking
Old 07-12-07, 12:55 PM   #6
Warthog

Yeah I said suspension because that was what was replaced, but they needed to redo the tracking cos they had to dismantle the whole front setup. It was pulling left first, and knocking cos it was all loose, but now it is tight and good but pulls right. Mainly under hard acceleration in 1st 2nd and 3rd. High speed it doesn't vibrate or anything, seems fine.
Old 07-12-07, 05:29 PM   #7
wheelnut

Glad you are sorted but sometimes you just dont realise how bad something has got until it is repaired.

Maybe it wasnt pulling to the right but previously pulled to the left and you were compensating for it already.

Its like poorly adjusted brakes. they feel fine until you adjust them properly, until they are too fierce for you.
Old 07-12-07, 10:15 PM   #8
SV-net

Tell me where you are I will try to guide you to a place where you can get a face to face decent diagnosis. Whoever fitted that should deal with it if its not correct. When you say new suspension then did you have it lowered??
Old 08-12-07, 04:03 AM   #9
phil24_7
Mega Poster

Sounds like tracking to me or a problem with a drive-shaft not engaging properly.

Could also be that your used to it pulled. Whip it back to the garage, they may have made a simple mistake.

If it still isn't sorted, take it to a wheel/tyre garage for laser alignment, if it's alot out then get them to write a report then take the bill to the garage who did the suspension work!

I'm not here for a long time, I'm here for a good time!

Blue SV650 K3, GSX-R K5 front end, TL1000S clip-ons, lower fairings, seat cowl, gel seat, Pyramid undertray, R&G crash bungs, stainless steel bar ends, full titanium Akrapovic exhaust, Power Commander, clear rear light, flush mount front indys, mini rear indys, Autocom 300 duo intercom, Acumen cat 1 alarm and Micheline Pilot Power 2ct's.
phil24_7 is offline   Reply With Quote