SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 05-04-09, 11:37 AM   #1
pencil shavings

Default suspension question - what and why

Ive been thinking about suspension and how it affects the handling of a bike.

take a gsxr 600 vs a sv650. from looking online they both have a smilar weight, but due to the gsxr having better spec suspension parts it handles better. So if you put the same quality gear on the SV - front end swap and a proper shock made for the bike, i get the impression that the SV would still be out handled by the gsxr.

why is this? is it do with sprung/unsprung weight? or other factors? would changing both wheels and forks would make the unsprung weight about the same, making them handle about the same?

what would be needed to be done to the SV to make it handle as well as a modern ish 600? or is it just impossible (within reason) if it is impossible, why?

This is all hypothetical, im not trying to do anything to my bike, just get a better understanding of what it is that helps me go around corners
Old 05-04-09, 11:52 AM   #2
plowsie

Default Re: suspension question - what and why

The SV is/was a budget bike.

There is a hoard of things you can do to improve things. After Hayabusa rear shock mod, my bike felt much smoother once I had correct settings with it.

Last edited by plowsie; 05-04-09 at 11:54 AM.
Old 05-04-09, 11:56 AM   #3
ThEGr33k

By putting the same spec equipment on you should be able to make the SV handle very similar.

The other factors that dont help are steering head angle. The Rake... Its 25* on the SV and 23.5* on the Gixxer 750. Now you can make the SV very similar if not the same by raising the rear and dropping the triples a little. This will speed up the steering a LOT.

The only thing you cant really do much about with the SV is the weight distripution. The Gixxer has a lot of its weight (its fat engine) low down which makes it feel lighter. To be honest I dont think this will make much odds when you are riding though.

Finally when you get the suspension setting right for you the bike will feel fantastic, especially if you do the above.

Cheers.
Old 05-04-09, 12:12 PM   #4
Mr Speirs
Mega Poster

Wouldn't other things like frame flexibility, weight distribution, aerodynamics also contribute to handling.
Smokey Black Burnty 02 - Racetech Smoulderlators + .90kg BBQ Springs, zx10r shockingly toasted, Conti Road Attacks heat up very nicely, R&G Crash Bungs but what f**king use are they, No Colour Matched Hugger, Flame Extenda, Beowulf Titainium Oval Flame Thrower.
Mr Speirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-09, 12:17 PM   #5
ThEGr33k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Speirs View Post
Wouldn't other things like frame flexibility, weight distribution, aerodynamics also contribute to handling.

Yea but to be honest not enough for it to really matter on the road. On a track then aye, probably.
Old 05-04-09, 02:14 PM   #6
pencil shavings

so taking suspension gear from one bike and putting it on a similar but budget bike, would make it handle more or less the same?

Im quite surprised by this, I thought the weight distribution would have had a greater impact on the handling, also the rigidity of the frame etc.

interesting!
Old 05-04-09, 04:01 PM   #7
ThEGr33k

To be honest the difference in frame rigidity is going to be minimal. Not so different as someone like us would notice. Also Ive never read a review that said the SV's frame was anything but great.

As to weight distribution if anything the SV should benefit from having the weight up high as it will help it fall into corners!

There are two downfalls on the SV, Lack of engine tuning so not too powerful and lack of decent equipment. Sort those and the SV is a very capable bike! Only thing is its cheaper to just get an already sorted bike... but probably not as fun!
Old 05-04-09, 05:12 PM   #8
pencil shavings

cool

While I would like to sort the SV im not planning on doing it, i was just wondering if it was really as simple as swaping bits! I know that the front end swap etc improve it, but i wasnt sure if it would be an improvement, or being it up to par with the donar bike!
Old 05-04-09, 09:27 PM   #9
lukemillar
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThEGr33k View Post
By putting the same spec equipment on you should be able to make the SV handle very similar.
See, I would disagree. I think suspension is designed around a whole number of things - the amount of power the engine is putting through the rear wheel, swingarm angle, suspension linkages and (as you say) rake and trail, weight distribution, frame design etc. Given enough time, you could mod any suspension component to fit the SV i.e at the extreme end of the scale, shoe-horning some SBK forks onto an RS125, is not going to make it handle like a superbike!

Handle better? probably - just not the same
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30
lukemillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-09, 09:31 PM   #10
punyXpress
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Speirs View Post
Starting to worry about that new yellow bike of yours already, Britney ?

( I'm only jealous ) <-- Envy Green