SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Tyres Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on this subject.

Old 04-08-04, 08:52 PM   #1
Old Codge

Default Dragon HR MTR-01 & 02

Hi Gang

Before I picked up my used 2002 SV from the dealer, he gave it a full service and put new rubber on. I think the old tyres were the original Metz and looked like they'd worrn well for the 7K that the machine had done. The tyres that the dealer fitted were Pirelli MTR 01 front and MTR 02 rear.

Now I probably don't push things as hard as some of you, but I'm yet to find the limit of the grip on the rear and the front has always been right on the line.

My reservation is the wear rate. The rear has squared off quite badly and I've only done 2500 miles on it. Half those miles would be motorway work, mostly with my wife on the back. Even if I can put up with the stepping as I corner, I doubt I'll get another 1000 out of the rear.

I'm looking for sugestions for the replacement rear tyre - something with a better wear rate and one that isn't too fussy about what front tyre it's partnered with (I'm loathed to change the front as it's showing no signs of wear yet and seems to grip well - especially in the wet.)

I await your collective wisdom with baited breath

Chears & Safe Home - Codge
Old 05-08-04, 08:36 AM   #2
yellowspanner

From chatting to people at the IAM meets and reading this forum the Bridgestone 020 is a good choice for a sporty tourer....