SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 30-06-05, 08:20 PM   #1
big twin grin

Default Chain adjustment

Anyone have any tips on adjusting the chain. It seems that the adjustment plates have loads of play and on the spindle and trying to get both sides the same is a nightmare. I have adjusted the chain to 20 mm of movement up and down. Feels tighter and a bit noisier when I turn the wheel.....however my service manual says that the adjustment should be between 20-30mm. Any suggestions?
Old 30-06-05, 08:28 PM   #2
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Avoid overtightening the chain.When the suspension compresses the chain will tighten up so you need the free play,There needs to be that amount of play at the tightest point as well.
Too little play puts big stresses on the gearbox sprocket bearings and could snap the chain.Not good.
Old 30-06-05, 08:29 PM   #3
zx6man

And the figures are normaly quoted when you are on the bike..so get someone to sit on it while you check
Old 30-06-05, 08:30 PM   #4
embee
Mega Poster

Agree. Much better to be on the slack side than too tight.

I reckon 30mm is the absolute minimum slack you need.

Try getting someone to sit on the bike and see how much tighter it gets.
embee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-05, 08:37 PM   #5
streetos

Should be 20 to 30 mm at the tightest point, with the weight on the wheel. It will vary as the wheel rotates. I would wind the adjusters in so that there is loads of chain slack, push the wheel fully forward and then pull the wheel back on the adjusters, half a turn on each adjuster at a time making sure the marks either side stay aligned with each other. Half a turn on the adjuster doesn't sound much but makes a big difference to the chain tension. I'm assuming the chain and sprockets are in good condition and well lubed before you start.
Old 30-06-05, 08:45 PM   #6
big twin grin

Thanks guys. Yes the chain has a good coating of wurth chain wax. I will slaken it off in the morning. Sounds like it is on the min limit. It did run smoother when it had 30mm plus play.
Old 30-06-05, 09:28 PM   #7
jonboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetos
Should be 20 to 30 mm at the tightest point
This really can't be over-stated enough. Slowly spin the wheel round until you find the tightest part of the chain, then adjust it.

Old 01-07-05, 11:50 AM   #8
MartinM

Default Chain tension

Thanks to you all for your advice. I, too have just checked chain tension, after buying the bike last week, and feel that the 20mm (though in spec) is too tight, as the front sprocket 'clucks' a bit when I push the bike about.

I didn't know that you have to sit on the bike to check the tension - that might explain everything.
I guess you must have a paddock stand Jonboy . . . . I don't, but I'm seriouly thinking of buying a centre stand.
Old 01-07-05, 12:33 PM   #9
jonboy

Default Re: Chain tension

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinM
I didn't know that you have to sit on the bike to check the tension
You don't, it's just the perfect ideal. I've found that having someone sit on the bike makes very little difference to the chain tension. Just make sure you've got a good 30mm at the tightest spot and that should be fine.

Quote:
I guess you must have a paddock stand Jonboy . . . . I don't, but I'm seriouly thinking of buying a centre stand.
Yes I have and it makes the job easier but again it's not necessary, the chain can be adjusted pretty well without one. Though I'd certainly advise getting one as they make doing a whole host of jobs that much easier.

(Pleasae note that the information in this post is B.A.S.A.T. approved)

Old 01-07-05, 01:26 PM   #10
Jabba

Default Re: Chain tension

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy
(Pleasae note that the information in this post is B.A.S.A.T. approved)
Good, coz he's monitoring every post, as you know.