SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 27-09-06, 06:42 AM   #1
bobit69

Default Running different tyres F & R

Right,

I'm currently running BT014's front and rear, the rear is almost gone and the front looking new.

Problem is that I don't want BT014's anymore, I would like to put Roadtecs on.

Can you have different tyres on front and Back as I am reluctant to put on BT014's again as they wear out too quickly!

Help appreciated.
Old 27-09-06, 07:12 AM   #2
weazelz

put the new tyres on & put the bt-14 front on ebay
Old 27-09-06, 10:50 AM   #3
northwind
Mega Poster

I run mismatches all the time... Sportec and Roadtec fronts, 020, Roadtec, Azaro and 020 rears. Never had any problems. Tyre companies always say not to do it, but in this case with the Roadtecs I'd maybe pay a touch more attention, because of the slick centre. Metzeler claim that the front's specifically designed to leave a clear lane for it, which your 014 might not do as well. Or that might be tyre company hype

I'd do what bobit suggests, it's a better fix all round I think, but mixing tyres isn't certain death as some imply.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-06, 11:24 AM   #4
zedleppelin1981

Running different brands of tyres front and rear COULD give strange handling characteristics, though it comes down to personal tastes. Never done it myself, though if Northwind says its ok, it might be worth a go.

When I replaced the tyres on my CB I wanted BT020's, but could not get them in the appropriate size, so stuck with OEM BT45's. Could have got a wider rear onto the rim, but did not know what it would do to the handling, so stuck with what I knew.

Gixxer 1000 rear shock; lovely! Might fit one in a couple of years!
Old 27-09-06, 11:26 AM   #5
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

back in the real world, if they've both got tread on and are the right size then like Windy says it doesn't spell imminent doom. More likely you'd be the only one to notice any difference. Done it loads of times.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-06, 11:58 AM   #6
jambo
Mega Poster

As above, I'd be inclined not to as you probably wont be getting quite the best feeling out of them you could. Why not keep the 014 for next summer & store it in the loft or something so if you've got any track days coming up you can throw them on for that? This said I was scraping the pegs on my ZX6R with Diablo Stradas at Lydden so again it's not as important as people make out
Old 27-09-06, 12:08 PM   #7
Grinch

I've run miss matched tyres too... bt020 on the front and Conti Road Attack on the back. Never been a problem...
Old 27-09-06, 12:17 PM   #8
bobit69

Been quoted some ridiculous prices.. £231 for the pair fitted!!

Currently enquiring with a shop in Germany says €115 delivered on their website but doesn't say whether it is for the front or rear!

Anyone know of a place to get cheap tyres?
Old 27-09-06, 12:21 PM   #9
HopefullySoon

Hi

National tyres were the cheapest I could find for a pair of 020's (175 fitted , ride in/out) , IIRC , they were asking 160 ish for a pair of Road Attacks .

HTH

Hopefully Soon
Old 27-09-06, 03:21 PM   #10
andyaikido

What's the insurance point of view on this?

I know legally there are certain combinations of cross-ply, bias-belt and radial you can't use but any 2 radials are legal.

What i'm getting at is you have to run the tyres at the manufacturer's (bike or tyre) recommended pressures to be legal so why don't we have to have recommended pairs of tyres.