SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 13-09-07, 11:15 AM   #1
pilot

Default Suspension question

Just installed a ZX6 shock and Thermosman rebuilt forks with emulators and preload adjusters in my 01 SV. A friend very knowledgable of suspension helped me set the sag and fork preload and even though after the adjustments it is within recommended specs, he is concerned that the ZX6 shock is 1/2 inch taller than the OEM shock and that this could cause the front-end to want to tuck. Any comments ?
Old 13-09-07, 11:26 AM   #2
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Default Re: Suspension question

Unlikely to be a problem, I've got shorter dogbones and an Ohlins shock at full extension, no tucking in problem, in fact not much differnce in turning in either, just quicker steering while leant over and on the exits.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-07, 12:10 PM   #3
Jase22

Yeah you shouldn't have any issues. I have a Nitron shock set about 1" longer than standard shock also with shortened dog bones and mine's right as rain.

I do like the quickness of handling, but it depends what your style of riding is and how you like it. You can probably compensate for the longer shock with longer dog bones if you're too fussed, which I think are readily available as "lowering kits" on ebay.
Old 13-09-07, 04:09 PM   #4
pilot

Forgive my confusion here, but both replies referred to having shorter dog bones, doesn't that compensate for a longer shock? I did not change the dog bones, so if the ZX6 is about 1/2" taller than the OEM shock, should that create any problems with stock dog bones?
Old 13-09-07, 05:16 PM   #5
jambo
Mega Poster

It should be fine. The handling will be "different" with the longer shock. Whether you prefer this or not is down to you. The damping and spring rates will be different too. To change the ride height back to how it was you can fit slightly shorter dog bones. However, this does not "undo" the taller shock as it's all rising rate stuff....

Ride it for a bit, see how you feel
Old 14-09-07, 09:02 AM   #6
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Shorter dogbones pull the swinging arm downwards i.e. further from the seat so increase ride height.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-07, 11:48 AM   #7
northwind
Mega Poster

Yup. I've got mine high at the back- not sure how high, but JHS short dogbones plus the Ohlins shock at full stretch- and also about 15mm lower at the front, no handling issues at all. Though that's all better quality bits, so it can deal with the extra demands, I wouldn't expect any problems with what you have. the SV has very lazy geometry to compensate for the cheap suspension and because it's designed to be forgiving and easy to ride. Loads of space for refinement.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-07, 06:23 PM   #8
Robw#70

and another thing to note is with better front springs the forks normal usable area is higher so with a longer shock your raising the whole bike, hence not a massive change in how the bike turns