SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 07-11-06, 03:26 PM   #1
Ceri JC

Default Rough cost of a garage

I've just been informed by a builder (a friend's other half, so I think I can take his word for it) that my existing garage, which I had hoped could just be patched up is actually on its last legs and needs to be redone completely. The garage is much bigger than a single, but not quite a double (which would seem to rule out prefab garages) and where it is, it really need to fill the existing gap, or it'll mean building a wall next to it to keep a back to the garden.

The builder is a biker himself (he was wearing an Arai cap) and reckons that steel doors are essential if you're keeping bikes in a garage.

How much (roughly) for a new garage (including skipping the old one, although I reckon me and a few mates could do that- it's just breeze blocks without foundations)? £4.5-5K?

Looks like I'll not be buying a TL1000 for a while yet...
Old 07-11-06, 03:33 PM   #2
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

How much did the builder quote?

Bear in mind that if done properly it could be REALLY good.

Electricity

Running Water

Lighting

The 1/5 garage space set up with a built in work bench

could be sweet.

And I think its a little more than breeze-blocks on no foundations to be honest.

David
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-06, 03:36 PM   #3
kwak zzr

my cousin just had one done and it cost £4,200 for a 20 X 10. hang on i'll find a picture.
Old 07-11-06, 03:42 PM   #4
Ceri JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulKiss
How much did the builder quote?

Bear in mind that if done properly it could be REALLY good.

Electricity

Running Water

Lighting

The 1/5 garage space set up with a built in work bench

could be sweet.

And I think its a little more than breeze-blocks on no foundations to be honest.

David
He hasn't given us a quote yet, but from what he was saying it'd be at least £4.5K. I was hoping there'd be lighting & electricity for that price, but hadn't considered running water/a work bench. Seeing as my "garden" is largely concrete, I imagine the cost/hassle of getting water out there would be more trouble than it's worth. Similarly, I envisage eventually making my own work bench as I'd want it to include bench drills, saws, etc.

The current one's "foundations" are basically a concrete hard patch (that I assume would have been used for parking a car on originally) which the breeze blocks are sat on top of. They don't seem to be sunk "into" it at all. Could explain all the cracks and bulges all over it.
Old 07-11-06, 03:43 PM   #5
kwak zzr

Old 07-11-06, 03:56 PM   #6
Ceri JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwak zzr

Was there electricity/lighting in it for that cost?
Old 07-11-06, 03:56 PM   #7
mattSV
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwak zzr

Mine is a similar size to that - but brick built with a pitched tiled roof and electrics - cost me about £10k 5 years ago
2013 - 2016 Triumph Explorer 1200
2016 - Ducati Multistrada DVT S
mattSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-06, 03:58 PM   #8
Ceri JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattSV
Mine is a similar size to that - but brick built with a pitched tiled roof and electrics - cost me about £10k 5 years ago
Where do you live? Sounds like you were had...
Old 07-11-06, 04:31 PM   #9
mattSV
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattSV
Where do you live? Sounds like you were had...
Southampton - price was good at the time. Walls are brick and double lined (not a breeze block in site ), 4 locks on the garage door, decent foundations, heavy duty roof trusses so I can use the roof as attic space, lighting and sockets - breeze blocks and flat roof will make a big difference to the price I think
2013 - 2016 Triumph Explorer 1200
2016 - Ducati Multistrada DVT S
mattSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-06, 04:40 PM   #10

Default Re: Rough cost of a garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC
I've just been informed by a builder (a friend's other half, so I think I can take his word for it) that my existing garage, which I had hoped could just be patched up is actually on its last legs and needs to be redone completely. The garage is much bigger than a single, but not quite a double (which would seem to rule out prefab garages) and where it is, it really need to fill the existing gap, or it'll mean building a wall next to it to keep a back to the garden.

The builder is a biker himself (he was wearing an Arai cap) and reckons that steel doors are essential if you're keeping bikes in a garage.

How much (roughly) for a new garage (including skipping the old one, although I reckon me and a few mates could do that- it's just breeze blocks without foundations)? £4.5-5K?

Looks like I'll not be buying a TL1000 for a while yet...
it certainly can be founds and blocks with a traditional roof, it really depends on how much grafting you personally can and want to do how much money, planning permission the area you know.. mates in the trade etc etc.

i work for a construction company if i can be of any assistance just pm me.

if i were building it myself i would hope for change out of two grand plus the fit out..

Cheers

Alex