SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 10-04-05, 02:07 PM   #1
Sudoxe

Default Fuel cap lock removal

I've got a stone in my fuel cap lock, much to my amusement at the petrol station.

So anyone know how to remove the lock, i tried removeing the screws arround the cap, it moves but i cant get it off. Just about to read the manual now, so if anyone has any tips....

Cheers
Dan
Old 10-04-05, 02:16 PM   #2
jonboy

Default Re: Fuel cap lock removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudoxe
I've got a stone in my fuel cap lock, much to my amusement at the petrol station.
Not that this helps but how on earth did that happen

Old 10-04-05, 02:21 PM   #3
K

Fine chisel and hammer maybe.

No, seriously. I'd look at ways to remove the stone whilst the lock is held nice and securely on the bike. That and the fact that if it's in the locked position I'm not sure it will come off!

If it's a 'soft' stone like chalk, sandstone or a bit of cement then careful application of a sharp object like a fine chisel should slowly erode it away. Regularly flushing the dust and bits with WD40.

If it's a hard rock like gravel then you really need some small point to one side that you can get a small nail down and partly underneath. Gentle taps with a hammer at an angle could then lever it out. Hopefully it'll only be jammed in at the top and not further down so shouldn't damage the mechanism of the lock.
Again, give it a bit of a flush with WD40.

Hope that helps.
Old 10-04-05, 02:33 PM   #4
Steve

strange place to find a stone. at least some people will try to help to find all kinds of ways....leaving no stone unturned!
sorry about that
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-05, 03:34 PM   #5
Sudoxe

Cheers all.

Some WD40, a tiny allen key and the sv key got it open again.

And Greg - nope, not made touchdown with earth again!

Dan