SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 05-08-05, 10:50 PM   #1
Stig

Default Seriously! What would you have done????

On the way home tonight from Soho (err Chelsea Bridge). Get to the start of the M4. Come up to the traffic lights which turn green as I arrive. Weave through the couple of cars in front of me and then pull away. Get to cruising speed of 60 Mph. Notice a bikes headlight behind me, think nothing of it. As we start the long left hand bend toward the A4 turn off the bike passes me on the outside lane. I estimate his speed to be about 80 Mph. He has desert boots, jeans and a casual jacket on and no gloves. He starts to lean the bike around the corner and I follow.

I notice very quickly that he is drifting toward the centre barriers. I ease of slightly just out of instinct. On cue he rides straight into the barrier. Sparks fly and he bounces off the barrier and down on the left hand side. He slides from the outside lane into my path. I brake hard but well in control, trying to miss the bits flying from his bike.

He finally ends up in the middle lane. I stop directly behind him. As I get off the bike he is already getting up. He tries to pick up the bike but cant. I notice blood all over the left hand handlebar that has snapped off. I told him to go to the side of the road and I would pick his bike up. I managed to get it up and park it on the side of the road and then go to see how the rider is.

Luckily for him he seems to not have broken any bones but has the obvious skinless parts on his hands, arms and legs. I asked him if he smoked to which he replied that he did. I get the fags out whilst he takes his helmet off and starts to phone people to see if he can get his bike recovered with the help of his friends.

Now here is the question. When I gave him the fag and offered a light it was then that I could smell the distinct smell of alcohol on his breath. Now it wasn't that quick pint just consumed smell, rather the smell of someone who has had a substantial amount to drink. What would you have done next

I walked back to my bike, got on, and drove the quarter mile to the junction 2 turn off. I stopped and phoned the police to report that I had witnessed an accident and that I was sure the rider had been drinking.

Right thing to do or not
Old 05-08-05, 10:58 PM   #2
shutdown

right thing, without a doubt.

Guy had a lucky escape but doesn't deserve to get away with it just because he got off lightly. Could have been worse for you and him.
Old 05-08-05, 11:05 PM   #3
ophic
Mega Poster

yup spot on, imo. Well done.
Old 05-08-05, 11:06 PM   #4
21QUEST
Mega Poster

Ditto to above.

If he had had as much as it seems to you , he is probably someone that has no qualms about drinking and operating a vehicle and it will be only a matter of time before he kils or seriously injure an innocent person.

Edit: 'sixth sense' working okay though

Cheers
Ben
Blue, mate, having read a lot of your stuff I'd say 'in your head' is unknown territory for most of us
21QUEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-05, 11:07 PM   #5
Cloggsy

Default Re: Seriously! What would you have done????

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigApe
Right thing to do or not
Abso****inlutely @r5ehole
Old 05-08-05, 11:08 PM   #6
AlanSv

spot on mate, was he badly scraped up?
Old 05-08-05, 11:31 PM   #7
pedrosis

I would have done the same maybe stamp on his bleeding hand for not wearing his fecking leathers though!
Old 05-08-05, 11:41 PM   #8
Jelster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Pete
I would have done the same maybe stamp on his bleeding hand for not wearing his fecking leathers though!
He has the right to wear what he wants, as long as he's got a lid... But yes, I think I would have done the same, well done mate....

Old 06-08-05, 12:02 AM   #9
Wiltshire7

to me your reaction is probably the best anyone could have done. Its not worth risking anything on the road side etc while you were with him, but you were right to let the police know.

He could have taken you with him if you hadnt been paying attention, hopefully he will learn from it.
Old 06-08-05, 12:06 AM   #10
sv4me
Mega Poster

Im surprised he didnt go up when you gave him a light

Think it took courage to do that,I know its tempting to say nothing as hes a fellow biker and just had an off. But only got himself to blame

Good on ya
sv4me is offline   Reply With Quote