SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 13-02-08, 12:43 AM   #1
tigersaw
Mega Poster

Default Do old people go to Uni?

Once again I have been looking at what to to when I finally can't take the stress and hours of my current job any longer - hopefully I'll hang in for another four of five years, but then there will be a long wait until pension, pipe and slippers.
One thought I had was to go to Uni for a year or two, stimulate the grey matter. Its getting on for 30 years since I didi my HND and Tech Dip, but I enjoyed the experience. Looking into finances, I'd have to pay the 3.5k annual fee, but a chunk of that could be offset by student status, thus not paying council tax.

So my original question, are there students at uni in their early fifties? - if so are they welcome, or considered a burden on rescources?
tigersaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-08, 01:06 AM   #2
missyburd

Default Re: Do old people go to Uni?

There seem to be a fair number of mature students about (much more flattering turn of phrase ), I'd say ranging from about 25 through to the 50's. I don't think it's a matter of them being a burden on resources at all, no-one should be prevented from learning just on the basis of age. Think it's more of a bind for them to have to put up with us young 'uns seeing as they are usually severely outnumbered, must get terribly boring having to listen to stories about drinking all night and eating baked beans out of saucepans

I like seeing mature students, just goes to show it's never too late to pick up something new
Old 13-02-08, 01:20 AM   #3
Lozzo

My housemate has just got her BSc in Environmental Science with a first and recently started the first year of a PhD, she's 41 soon.
Old 13-02-08, 04:21 AM   #4
timwilky
Mega Poster

I hope so. One of my mates is in the last year of an ITdegree part time at Salford.

I made him redundant 4 years ago. He has struggled to find a job that would support his twin needs to live and earn since. he turned 50 two years ago.

Who knows I may one day go back, I have had friends do their PHD in their 40s. etc. Why should education and knowledge be the prerogative of the young?.
Old 13-02-08, 06:35 AM   #5
the white rabbit

Yes, unfortunately I have to go (nearly) every day
Old 13-02-08, 07:43 AM   #6
K

I've just started a degree that I should finish just before I'm 40 (unless I stay for a top-up year, then I will be 40 ).

To give you an idea the oldest degree student at our Uni is 86 - he's doing furnature design I think.
Old 13-02-08, 07:50 AM   #7
Kinvig

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky View Post
. One of my mates is in the last year of an ITdegree part time at Salford.

I made him redundant 4 years ago.
You git!
Old 13-02-08, 09:00 AM   #8
helen

No age limit to learning - same goes for professional qualifications these days - gone is the 'qualified at 23' unless you land a very cushty number with a big blue chip.

Experience is worth so much more in my book!
Old 13-02-08, 09:00 AM   #9
anna
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Rich View Post
Yes, unfortunately I have to go (nearly) every day
..but you work there

yes lots of people who are mature students have started to go back to uni mainly because now a days so many more people have degrees if you want to progress or change career you will require one. University's will welcome anyone as they like having your fees off you and most will be glad to have students that will stick the whole course out.
anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-08, 09:24 AM   #10
rob13

Tigersaw on your wages, 3.5k must be a drop in the proverbial! Is ATC that bad??

I actually enjoyed learning at Uni, and found the mature students put more work and effort because its not a "must go cos everyone else is" option but a choice and theyve paid good money to get there. You probably appreciate the knowledge at an older age.