SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 19-02-05, 09:02 PM   #1
curium

Default Is This A Wind-Up?

OK. After all the fretting about getting my front sprocket off and the tales of other peoples troubles plus predictions of how difficult it would be without having a chain attached, I went out and spent money on a 2 foot long breaker bar and a 32mm deep socket.

I put the bike in first gear and the thing came off with no bother! No need for wrapping a chain on or wood through the rear wheel, it came off with 1 good tug while in 1st gear.

It's not in terrible condition, maybe some slight curling at the tips, I figure with a replacement being the fraction of the cost of the chain I may as well do them both.

Hopefully my chain riveter will turn up on Monday and I can finish the job up.

Here's the replacement sprocket that arrived.

Old 19-02-05, 09:19 PM   #2
BURNER

I think it's more of the front sprocket CAN take some persuading to come loose. There have also been folk reporting that the damn thing just fell off almost

You going for the stock gearing or maybe a tooth extra or less?
Old 19-02-05, 09:21 PM   #3
curium

Stock gearing. Only changing them because the chain snapped. New chain was almost a ton so I figure 'why skimp on the sprockets?'

Anyone know if I can slap on bog standard 'nut-lock' from Halfords or do we need special stuff?

Also can anyone advise on what grease to use and where?

I'd never looked under the sprocket cover previously, but now i have Ireckon I'll clean it all up with a parafin soaked brush. Just want to know if there's any reason I shouldn't do that?
Old 19-02-05, 09:25 PM   #4
embee
Mega Poster

Those teeth look pretty worn to me. They're not particularly hooked but there's a lot less meat there than a new one.

As for the new one, if that part number means it's a 520 size, are you sure your chain is a 520, the standard chain is a 525. The difference is that a 520 is 1/4" thickness sprockets, a 525 is 5/16".

There's not a huge difference in strength but the 520 will probably wear faster, and you definitely shouldn't run a 525 chain on a 520 sprocket.
embee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-05, 09:37 PM   #5
curium

Quote:
As for the new one, if that part number means it's a 520 size, are you sure your chain is a 520, the standard chain is a 525. The difference is that a 520 is 1/4" thickness sprockets, a 525 is 5/16".
Christ! You made me crap myself for an instant.

I just checked the jtsprockets web site and they say it is for a 525 chain (which is what I have purchased). I agree that the nomenclature is confusing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by embee
Those teeth look pretty worn to me. They're not particularly hooked but there's a lot less meat there than a new one.
You reckon? I haven't open the new one so can't compare yet but I will.
Old 19-02-05, 10:04 PM   #6
embee
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by curium
...I just checked the jtsprockets web site and they say it is for a 525 chain (which is what I have purchased). I agree that the nomenclature is confusing.
phew!

someone sack the guy in charge of part numbers!
Old 19-02-05, 10:28 PM   #7
Red ones
Mega Poster

Looks worn to me. The give away is the squaring off at the base of the tooth.
I always replace sprokets with the chain. As you say a chain costs a fortune, but the sprokets are pennies.
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-05, 12:12 AM   #8
Dan_SV

I'm thinking of dropping a tooth off the front, to lower the gearing on my Faired 2000 SV (carbed). I want the extra acelleration, but I'm interested to know how much top end is knocked off. Current top speed is about 130-135 on the speedo, with 140 coming up once with a tailwind.

Dan.
Old 20-02-05, 12:13 AM   #9
curium

Just noticed that the old sprocket is wider then the replacment. The teeth section look the same width but the total body width is bigger.

Is this going to be a problem?

Dan the gear ratio will be 3.14
Old 20-02-05, 12:24 AM   #10
embee
Mega Poster

the pic is not that easy to check, but it looks like it's an original fitment with the rubber damper rings on each side.

These are purely to quieten the noise, nothing else. Aftermarket sprockets usually don't have these, it's no problem.

As long as the thickness of the teeth is the same it'll be fine. The sprocket should have a small amount of side clearance in the chain, somewhere round 0.5mm (I haven't checked the actual dimensions according to the manufacturers but it's in that parish)