SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-02-11, 04:56 PM   #1
Ceri JC

Default K3->K4 fork compatability?

I am in the process of putting my SV650s K4 back on the road. Having got tired of leaky forks*, I've decided to replace whole shebang. I've found a set of used K3 forks at a reasonable price and just wanted to check whether or not they're compatible? Ideally I'd swap the whole front end in (as this looks less worn than the 50K mile old one on my bike), but I have no problem with my existing headstock, triple clamps, etc. and so could use those if an incompatibility existed there, but the diameters of the forks were the same.

TIA, mighty org.

*read all about it here.
Old 03-02-11, 05:15 PM   #2
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: K3->K4 fork compatability?

i'm not trying to be cheeky but have you thought about getting someone else to strip them and do it for you.

i'm sure that Mr YC would be more than happy. there may be an underlying problem that you cant spot and giving them to a guru like YC might be an alternative route. you have already spent a fair amount on posh internals and tried yourself numerous times to rectify the problem so how about letting someone else have a look.

would cost a bit more but as i said there might be something else that your missing.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-11, 05:24 PM   #3
davepreston

why dont you just upgrade to sv thou forks or the gixxer ones seem like a bit of dead money to me ?
Old 03-02-11, 05:27 PM   #4
Ceri JC

No offence taken. It's only bloody mindedness and my fear of giving it to a garage is that they will do it, it'll be fine for 2-3000 miles, then start leaking again.that makes me want to DIY it. Taking them up to Mr YC might well be a better idea though, the bike is rideable (well, will be once I've redone the clutch, which I can do). I could lug the new bits up on the back of the bike. That way, I'd get to find out what the damned problem is too, which if I'm honest, I want almost as much as the bike back on the road.
Old 03-02-11, 05:30 PM   #5
Ceri JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepreston View Post
why dont you just upgrade to sv thou forks or the gixxer ones seem like a bit of dead money to me ?
In my experience so far, insurers are generally happier to insure aftermarket suspension designed for the bike rather than something from another bike bodged to fit.

I already have the nice internals and I know from when they've worked that aside from leaking oil, the handling is absolutely sublime.
Old 03-02-11, 05:34 PM   #6
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Are those matris of yours full cartridge or emulator?

There's not a lot to stop seals working, if they're the right ones, installed the right way, and there aren't any pits in the chrome they should be fine. You can polish any small pits or dinks out with very fine emery and silicon lube.
Old 03-02-11, 11:06 PM   #7
Ceri JC

Emulators. If memory serves, they look like this: