SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Closed Thread

Old 08-12-05, 09:25 PM   #1
manxsv

Default Wheel bearings

Replacing the all the wheel bearings on my bike, so I got a quote from the local Suzuki dealership of £10.89 plus vat for each one, with christmas looming and house buying could do without shelling out over £50.00 so I went to a local engineering firm and they can supply the bearings for £3.89. so just want to know this is best to get the proper suzuki bearings or go for the cheaper ones, the engineer said they would do the job and would be perfectly safe.

Old 08-12-05, 09:35 PM   #2
Brucey

Suzuki original bearings are cheap and nasty chinese made crap with only one seal suggest you get real bearings like SKF with two seals they will cost less than the Suzuki ones and last four times as long.

Old 09-12-05, 07:47 AM   #3
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

I wouldn't buy the bearings from a Suzuki dealer if they come supplied as a Suzuki part, they're too dear, even before any questions about quality, although many dealers are aware that supplied through the manufacturers spares network common parts such as bearings are simply too dear and as such they supply locally sourced, and often better quality parts.

A typical wheel bearing would cost £3 to £5, from a bearing factor, often £10 - £15 for a similar bearing from a dealer. Make sure you get a bearing with seals on both sides, the originals often don't have seals, only a shield, and then often only on one side.h
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Old 09-12-05, 08:58 AM   #4
BillyC
Mega Poster

I've no experience of this myself, so perhaps someone could explain this to me with a little more detail.

When you buy a replacement set of bearings, do they come with all the little balls, complete with the circular housing? Or am I thinking crap?

Presumeably there's nothing special about the parts that Suzuki provide for this, which is why alternatives are easy to source. Would it be the same for car wheel bearings?
Old 09-12-05, 09:04 AM   #5
Stormspiel

I've just bought all the bearings required for wheels ( front set, back set & sprocket carrier) and it cost me £27 for the lot. Thats from George wards suzuki, they are Koyo bearings with double seals and pre-greased.

One question, whats the best grease to add when fitting as i don't fancy putting copper grease in (it'll corrode it won't it with the copper particles, or am i talking rollox??)

Old 09-12-05, 09:30 AM   #6
Brucey

The reason they were so cheap is you have bought the same cheap and nasty bearings that Suzuki fit as standard and are worthless unless you like wasting time in constantly replacing things like bearings in future do a little homework go into a bearing suplier and have them source you some proper bearings they will outlast the bike.

Old 09-12-05, 09:35 AM   #7
Banus

Reading stuff like this starts to make you think about your own bearings. Obviously it depends on your riding style (wheelies - excessive braking etc) but "on average" (if there's any such thing) how long should a set of bearings last before they need replacing ?

Old 09-12-05, 10:08 AM   #8
21QUEST
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormspiel
I've just bought all the bearings required for wheels ( front set, back set & sprocket carrier) and it cost me £27 for the lot. Thats from George wards suzuki, they are Koyo bearings with double seals and pre-greased.

One question, whats the best grease to add when fitting as i don't fancy putting copper grease in (it'll corrode it won't it with the copper particles, or am i talking rollox??)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucey
The reason they were so cheap is you have bought the same cheap and nasty bearings that Suzuki fit as standard and are worthless unless you like wasting time in constantly replacing things like bearings in future do a little homework go into a bearing suplier and have them source you some proper bearings they will outlast the bike.
Brucey , did you actually take the time to read Stormspiel post at all? or you are just spewing stuff out. I've never heard of Koyo described as crap but I'm always willing to learn.

Maybe you can tell us what special quality bearings you are buying.

Cheers
Ben

EDIT: The reason they were so cheap is more to do with ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Squid
......... although many dealers are aware that supplied through the manufacturers spares network common parts such as bearings are simply too dear and as such they supply locally sourced, and often better quality parts.
Blue, mate, having read a lot of your stuff I'd say 'in your head' is unknown territory for most of us
Old 09-12-05, 10:20 AM   #9
Brucey

My Hayabusa came with Koyo bearings they failed big time at less than 10000 everybody on www.200mph.org is aware of how ****e these bearings are they are made of monkey metal and only come with one seal a proper bearing will last well over twice as long trust me Suzuki only use them because they are cheap chinese **** and they make a lot of money on them from mugs who insist on fitting original fittment components its your choice.

Old 09-12-05, 10:48 AM   #10
21QUEST
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucey
My Hayabusa came with Koyo bearings they failed big time at less than 10000 everybody on www.200mph.org is aware of how sh*te these bearings are they are made of monkey metal and only come with one seal a proper bearing will last well over twice as long trust me Suzuki only use them because they are cheap chinese sh*t and they make a lot of money on them from mugs who insist on fitting original fittment components its your choice.
Brucey without wish to be rude you are talking crap IMHO.

Do a check on the company and I think you will find they are not actually some Monkey Business. Actually best thing is to speak someone at a bearing factor(ideally unbiased).
Are they only used by Suzuki? What about Honda , Yamaha or Kawasaki. I can't tell you myself but hopefully someone will clarify.

Koyo does do 2RS bearings(even mentioned in Stormspeils post) so try and get your facts right before posting.

Oh ...Koyo is actually a Japanese company
Blue, mate, having read a lot of your stuff I'd say 'in your head' is unknown territory for most of us
Closed Thread