SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 16-08-06, 07:08 AM   #571
therealvw

Did you know that not until the early 60's was the Fact that the earth has tectonic plates commonly accepted by Geologists. And to be fair, this was still the case up until the 70's.

The Idea that the earths crust and so it's continents was and is moving had been around since the early 1900's. But most geologists thought that the continents have been in the shape they are today from the creation of the earth. The interesting fact that brought about a different way of tinking regarding the plates, was how do you explain fossils of the same type of creature on totally different continents? These geologists came up with the idea of Land Bridges, that spanned across the oceans, and have since disappeared, Without leaving a trace!!

So, when the idea that continents have moved apart and in some cases together, from one big land mass, Pangeae, these said Gelologists were in agog! (not a word you hear too often!) So, it took over half a century to get the Geologists in the world to recognise the fact that the crust of the earth is indeed moving around.

Continental drift was a term coined for this, until they decided that it wasn't just the continents moving around, it was the actual thing that the continents were sitting on that was moving, so the term Plates was finally agreed upon, and then Tectonic Plates. Tectonics, means large scale structure.
Old 23-08-06, 12:47 PM   #572
Diego's dealer

Technically, Coffee is a fruit juice.
Old 23-08-06, 02:50 PM   #573
Terence

No-where in the nursery rhyme does it mention that Humpty Dumpty was an egg
Old 23-08-06, 03:02 PM   #574
Richie
fantabulas
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diego's dealer
Technically, Coffee is a fruit juice.
does that mean that beer is watered down bread...?
Old 29-08-06, 08:38 AM   #575
keithd

on this fine day in 1885, mr gottlieb daimler patented the world's first motorcycle.

cheers mr daimler.
Old 29-08-06, 09:30 AM   #576
DanDare

Snakes and Ladders was a game originally from India, designed to teach the kids the difference between right and wrong and heaven and hell.
Old 29-08-06, 10:06 AM   #577
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDare
Snakes and Ladders was a game originally from India, designed to teach the kids the difference between right and wrong and heaven and hell.
I suppose that's why it's less effort to slide down then snake than it is to climb up a ladder. I've always enjoyed sliding on my a**e anyway!
Old 30-08-06, 02:17 PM   #578
tricky

Plane Geek facts

The first prototype of the Messerschmitt Bf 109 fighter had a Rolls Royce Kestrel engine.

The Bf 109 is often reffered to as the Me 109, this is incorrect. Only aircraft produced after 1938 (When Wilhem Messerschmitt took over the company and renamed it after himself) are designated Me. Prior to 1938 Messerschmitt was known as Bayerische Flugzeugwerke, hence the Bf designation.
Old 30-08-06, 02:23 PM   #579
Scoobs
Vipers Pillion Bitch
Mega Poster

My PM Inbox is 132% full???

Scoobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-06, 02:54 PM   #580
lynw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs
My PM Inbox is 132% full???
Can I take this oppotunity to remind people this is supposed to be interesting fact of the day? :P