SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 24-11-20, 09:04 PM   #1941
Chris_SVS

Default Re: What have you tinkered with today?

Yeah Mav, couldn't resist!
Chris_SVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-20, 09:06 PM   #1942
maviczap
Mega Poster

I know the feeling ��
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-20, 09:17 PM   #1943
Dave20046
Mega Poster

I had the tile scenario at my last house, the door hinge was cantilevered and took out the tile with door mount on then the rest came off. I'm doing this cubicle all in cement board and tanking it for belt & braces...they'll still probably all drop off.
I've just been trying my best to work out pipe falls and wrap my head around affixing showertrays to the floor when everything says do not use silicone/adhesive and all I want to do it use silicone/adhesive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by daktulos View Post
A few years ago, I did something similar - took a week off work to "get the bathroom done". The ceiling was horrible plastic wainscoting which I thought I could quickly replace, but was held up little more than balsa wood. At the end of the week, I had finished the ceiling and little more ... the ceiling is great, but the rest was a little rushed
Yeah, trying my best not to rush it...but sort of in a rush
Old 25-11-20, 02:40 PM   #1944
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave20046 View Post
I'm not even there yet. Moved a wall to put in a shower cubicle, still working out the wastage, had to move the rad, toilet, weird 70's massive hot tub esque bath being replaced so also needs new wastage - picked recessed taps which was stupid. Along the way I've found the floorboards had disintegrated and ceiling was falling in, so boarded the ceiling (which was fun on my own with no floor or lights) and replaced the entire floor with WSB Ply. The hot/cold water supply was also run like ****, they obviously didn't own a pipe bender so there was like 8 elbows to get the pipe pointing in the approximate direction which I replaced with two bends and elimitated the boxing in.
Walls are back to brick (and are wierdly missing many bricks and a lot of pointing and one wall isn't tied to anything - so more to do there), decided I've got to get the walls boarded before chasing tap locations etc incase the walls being out of whack moves them. I've got the plumbing to approx locations now atleast. It is a job that has absolutely snowballed and I'm having to learn pretty quick...or maybe this is just standard stuff the experts have to put up with.
Don't plumbers use a lot of plastic piping like Hep20 for hot and cold water services nowadays ?
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-20, 03:10 PM   #1945
redtrummy

Well that was a disaster! Set to to fit the cubicle. Wall rails missing, one wheel on door broken, one runner slightly dented and two door stops marked. I checked the glass when the shower arrived but lack of space stopped me from doing a complete infantry. It was not a cheap cubicle neither.!
redtrummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-20, 04:29 PM   #1946
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtrummy View Post
Well that was a disaster! Set to to fit the cubicle. Wall rails missing, one wheel on door broken, one runner slightly dented and two door stops marked. I checked the glass when the shower arrived but lack of space stopped me from doing a complete infantry. It was not a cheap cubicle neither.!
Mira by any chance. I ordered one of these many years ago. I rejected it three times due to damage or poor quality.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
Old 25-11-20, 05:09 PM   #1947
redtrummy

No it is a Lakes - We do have a second shower but its an electric so not so powerful as the gas powered one, so its not the end of the world. Third one I will (hopefully) have fitted here and there has been issues with all three. One had had its location holes drilled with the profiles upside down!

Think this present fiasco could take some sorting!
redtrummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-20, 09:39 PM   #1948
dirtydog
Knob faced knobster
Mega Poster

Quote:
I'm not even there yet. Moved a wall to put in a shower cubicle, still working out the wastage, had to move the rad, toilet, weird 70's massive hot tub esque bath being replaced so also needs new wastage - picked recessed taps which was stupid. Along the way I've found the floorboards had disintegrated and ceiling was falling in, so boarded the ceiling (which was fun on my own with no floor or lights) and replaced the entire floor with WSB Ply. The hot/cold water supply was also run like ****, they obviously didn't own a pipe bender so there was like 8 elbows to get the pipe pointing in the approximate direction which I replaced with two bends and elimitated the boxing in.
Walls are back to brick (and are wierdly missing many bricks and a lot of pointing and one wall isn't tied to anything - so more to do there), decided I've got to get the walls boarded before chasing tap locations etc incase the walls being out of whack moves them. I've got the plumbing to approx locations now atleast. It is a job that has absolutely snowballed and I'm having to learn pretty quick...or maybe this is just standard stuff the experts have to put up with.

Oh it's one of those ones, I've had a few of them in my time like having to replace 8" floor joists that have rotted almost all the way through, tiles on tiles straight onto bare brick
Old 25-11-20, 10:46 PM   #1949
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydog View Post
Oh it's one of those ones, I've had a few of them in my time like having to replace 8" floor joists that have rotted almost all the way through, tiles on tiles straight onto bare brick
Yep, in places they had over 2 inches of tile adhesive onto brick. So now I'm having the fun of squaring the walls (will regret it I'm sure but suspicious of dot & dab taking the 1cm thick tiles I've bought so battening instead). Just found the window lintel has a 5mm crack the length of it
The joists thankfully were sound, just the boards that had rotted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenrico View Post
Don't plumbers use a lot of plastic piping like Hep20 for hot and cold water services nowadays ?
Yeah, in honesty I did a full run of copper, a really complicated one - about 4 hours work and got cocky and didn't test them as I went along and messed up a tee meaning I had to redo the lot. Chucked my toys out of the pram and went and bought some hep2o.
The innaccessible bits are copper atleast (and less accessible bits mostly joinless hep) .
Old 25-11-20, 11:20 PM   #1950
svenrico

Quote:
I've just been trying my best to work out pipe falls and wrap my head around affixing showertrays to the floor when everything says do not use silicone/adhesive and all I want to do it use silicone/adhesive.
Don't you install the shower tray on adjustable legs ? Mine is, with a cut out in the chipboard floor for the trap. I had a leaking shower wetting the lounge ceiling below. One plumber didn't spot the trap was leaking ,another plumber fitted a new trap but I also did some resealing of tiling with grout to the joints and a very thick bead of silicone sealant at the junction of tiling with shower tray which has turned a horrible black with mould.

Last edited by Luckypants; 26-11-20 at 09:02 AM.
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote