SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

EuroTour An area to discuss potential European trips, and to ask advice about long distance touring.

Old 22-01-11, 09:59 PM   #1
sauluk

Default Germany

This year's trip I'm thinking Germany. Never been and feels like a good option coming in at Calais. Last year we did Vosges and averaged over 500kms per day which was too much and it felt a little too far to get to the twisties. (don't get me wrong, it was awesome!)

Not sure where to start. Kinda want to avoid France so think Belgium > Luxembourg route for a bit of sight seeing. Then into Germany which is where I really need some help with destinations, routes.

Any suggestions for places to stay would be great too. It was good driving into a village and finding a b&b but I think you need a couple of nights sorted in advance.

Cheers!!
Was: Blue SK5
Was: KMX125.. stolen..
sauluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-11, 09:27 AM   #2
STRAMASHER
Mega Poster

Default Re: Germany

The Pfalzerwald south of Kaiserslautern is excellent biking country. We stayed our 1st night in Frankenstein just at the north edge of the forests to get a good stArt on the to roads heading south in the morning. (ok and just to get a photie of the sign! ) gorgeous teeny quiet village with a great hotel on a good road.

You been to the Vosges so u just need to nip across the Rhine into the Schwarzwald (Black Forest). Spoilt for choice on the good roads and quaint towns and villages here.

Nothing on par to the Alps though so if you want mind blowing roads and scenery you could keep heading south into the Swiss Alps, east for the top passes (furka/ susten/grimsel) or west for the excellent passes back into France.

The Belgians are the most dangerous bastids in cars I have experienced , watch out!!!
STRAMASHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-11, 09:46 AM   #3
maviczap
Mega Poster

http://germanyiswunderbar.com/

There's a lot of great roads in Germany, maybe too many to sort through. My wifes relations live in the Old East Germany and the Hartz mountains have some truely great roads, although there are still a few bad roads left from the former times.

In Germany there are still plenty of private B&B's you need to look up 'Pension' they tend to have signs out side the house or you can stay in a Gasthof which is more like a pub with overnight accomodation.
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-11, 05:15 PM   #4
Loopydog

Hi - we live in the Mosel (aka Moselle) valley, 35 miles from the Nurburgring, near Bernkastel Kues ('the pearl of the Mosel') and just 40 miles from the Luxemburg border. We run a bike tours business (not touting for business but if you want an impression of the area, visit www.moselbikes.com ).
The area is fabulous for biking, with all sorts of roads appropriate for all sorts of bikers and bikes. The area is mainly deep-cut river valleys, with steep-sided vineyards, topped by forests and surrounded by open farmland. There really is a great mix of riverside 'touristy' roads, tight hairpin roads and fast sweepers, all within a reasonably compact area. It's also a 'holiday' area in its own right, with lots of things to do and see. Then there's the high quality wine and interesting beers, traditional villages, river boats and of course, the Nurburgring circuit itself. The beauty about using this area for your tour base is that you won't have to ride the 500kms daily as you did before, and have a ittle more time to be selective over the routes you take - which will make for a much more concentrated and enjoyable riding experience. If you want to go a bit further on some days, great towns like Heidelberg and areas such as the Ardennes are easily doable whilst still being relaxed. I should also say that the valley has its own 'microclimate' and is often described as Medditerranean. Certainly last year, between May and September, we had very hot and dry weather, sometimes reaching 40c! Mind it can also be cooler.
Regarding accommodation, there are loads of relatively cheap b&b's, self catering units and camp sites. You can expect to pay around 25-30 euros a night for a single room at a small hotel or b&b.
We live in a very large house and the whole of the ground floor is unused. It's not used commercially as we outsource our tour hotels, but I'm open to 'letting' a room or two from time to time, to club members, at peanut rates to cover leccy and water (both expensive and metered here). If I'm not on a tour, I'd also be more than happy to take you round the area for a day or two (no charge)
I'd be more than happy to give more information if you want it, just ask here or by pm.
It's a great biking area and I'm sure you'd have a great time.
Old 14-02-11, 06:58 PM   #5
mike_avfc

based on experience i would reccomend the black forest and southern germany - we normally get there on the first day (really long day), just to get the motorways done, normally stay in baden baden and then head south on the B500, awesome road and wonderful scenery. Normally end up in Switzerland in the alps after that.

But you could always head east to Munich and then Salzburg. But don't miss the black forest.
Old 14-02-11, 07:34 PM   #6
sauluk

Cheers loopy, just sent you a PM.

Thanks Mike, I think we were pretty much decided on black forest. Reassuring to know you can get to Baden Baden in a day. If you've got any tips on where to stay or where to go in that region that'd be really helpful!!
Old 14-02-11, 09:06 PM   #7
mike_avfc

it's a long haul doing baden baden in one day, but worth it !

The hotel we stay in is the Abarin hotel, i just book it on hotels.com. As we do a tour i make sure i book that for the first night so we don't give up with a few miles to go. Then hit the B500 the following day

We'll be back there in July, cannot wait
Old 14-02-11, 09:20 PM   #8
sauluk

There's quite a few videos of the B500 on youtube. Does everyone ride / drive it like a racetrack?? On every video people are taking blind corners in the oncoming lane just to get the driving line right. Surely that's a recipe for disaster!!
Old 14-02-11, 09:24 PM   #9
mike_avfc

on a lot of corners you can see so far ahead its unbelievable. we didn't see too many bikes last year on it.
Old 16-02-11, 09:27 PM   #10
Tim in Belgium

B500, B258, Nurburgring, some Vmax on the autobahns with luggage, all good fun.

Further a field Garmisch, the alpenstrasse:

http://www.deutsche-alpenstrasse.de/