SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 15-11-05, 07:07 PM   #11
Jdubya

Why not use the A1 instead? M20, M25, M11,A14, A1 then M62...Jobs -a -Goodun!

Or take the train(better option IMHO) as it is going to be cold or wet(or both) at that time of year...guaranteed!
Old 15-11-05, 07:23 PM   #12
Jelster

Whatever you do, do not, ride the whole journey up the M1. Do you realise what wonderful roads you will be going past ?

Here's a sugestion... First of all, get yourself a map. By riding a mix or Motorways and A roads you gain a great deal of experience.

I take it you're coming from Asford in Kent, so get the crap out of the way and take the M20/M25/M1 to Luton (stop at South Mimms services - the ones by the A1M - refill, get yourself warm etc.)

At Luton pick up the A6 and follow it all the way to Kettering. Then the A14 which will take you back to the M1. Jump back on the M1 and take to Junc 25 (use the services for regular stops and to make sure you're keeping yourself warm) pick up the A55 to the A515.

Head into Derby until you can pick up the A6 towards Belper and follow it to Matlock (You are now in God's riding country)....... Follow the A6 through the Dales to Buxton. From there make your way to Glossop, and on to Holmbridge via the A6024. Get yourself to wards Huddersfield on teh A616 and follow the signs to the M62, which will take you to Leeds via the M621

This route is not complicated, but it will give you the experince of riding in the Peak District, which have some of the best biking roads in the country. Others may suggest a better route through this area, I've only ever done it in a car

Keep safe, allow yourself time, and have fun.

Old 15-11-05, 07:52 PM   #13
chazzyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelster
I take it you're coming from Asford in Kent, so get the crap out of the way and take the M20/M25/M1 to Luton (stop at South Mimms services - the ones by the A1M - refill, get yourself warm etc.)
Alternatively, go up the M11 to Bishop's Stortford, then across to the A10. Up to Royston, and on to the A1198 for Huntingdon, A14 and onto the A1M.
Old 16-11-05, 01:22 AM   #14
tigersaw
Mega Poster

Alternatively, go up the M11 to Bishop's Stortford, then across to the A10. Up to Royston, and on to the A1198 for Huntingdon, A14 and onto the A1M.[/quote]

Royston Vasey?
tigersaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-05, 01:45 AM   #15
Warren

if your on the M1 all the time, you will feel cold and miserable.

150 miles isnt really a long distance in my opinion, and as you say - you have all day. so might as well take a map and just ride around the roads.
Old 16-11-05, 05:26 AM   #16
caines

If its your first long journey im sure your senses will be on high alert for the full 150 miles and you'll be fine but for those of us who do motorways regularly will tell you they become incredibly boring - then Id resort to an A road on a sunny day.

You dont want to be on an A road in the ****ing rain, I say fastlane, headdown - warm clothes.

I find the following things happen to me on motorways:

1. one leg goes numb if its cold, not both just one!

2. again if its cold you'll be in the fastlane and go to put your indicator on and realise you have no feeling in your hand and theres no telling what button your about to press ( wear warm gloves, top tip there )

3. Boredom sets in and you start looking at the tarmac and thinking ' what if I fell off now?' Hmmm How would that look from a third person perspective?

4. I go faster and faster and faster because I just want to get off the bike as soon as possible

5. I sing ridiculous songs to myself ( that could just be me )

6. I start looking at the time every 2 minutes then automatically calculate that ive just done ' 3 miles ' and I have 234 to go. I dont even want to do it its just automatic lol. You know when you havent seen a sign for a while and your kinda hoping youve just covered like 40 miles then you look at the time and reality kicks in, ummm nope youve only done 7 lol!

7. After 200 miles, you hit slow moving traffic and your filtering technique becomes a little ' agressive'. You start filtering cars that are already doing 60mph like a madman

Maybe the train is a good idea afterall eh?
Old 16-11-05, 07:48 AM   #17
The Basket

Time is the key here.

Give yourself plenty of time, and everything else will follow.

Time and planning.

I agree with the gentleman above. After a very long bike journey, you only want the thing to end so you start taking risks that normally you wouldn't. Your brain switches off. Motorcycling can be very uncomfortable and so you need stops to give you a breather.
Old 16-11-05, 08:45 AM   #18
JakeRS

the train also costs £40 each way

plus it will be good experience whether its piddling down with rain or not...

i would be scared of getting lost if i went then non-motorway direction! but i may give it a go...

never been further than london on my bike. to leeds is approx. 260 miles.
Old 16-11-05, 09:00 AM   #19
The Basket

That's a long Journey!!!!
A good tip is to do it in legs...70 miles then stop, 70 miles then stop.
You're doing 70 miles in a go than 260. Clever eh?Less hassle and it feels like you're getting there.

Riding long distances in this winter weather becomes a feat of endurance. Be prepared.
Old 16-11-05, 09:06 AM   #20
diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by caines
3. Boredom sets in and you start looking at the tarmac and thinking ' what if I fell off now?' Hmmm How would that look from a third person perspective?

5. I sing ridiculous songs to myself ( that could just be me )
I do these two as well