SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 21-10-11, 07:07 PM   #1
bydna

Default Lloyd Cooper Watford - Clumsy or bad luck?

Hi, this is my first post to the forum - apologies for the moan but I came across this forum after a google search about speedo rotors and thought I'd join up and ask for your opinion.

I recently took my 04 SV to Lloyd Cooper for one of their platinum services, a set of tyres and a MoT. They asked me to come in a week early so when I turn up I request to put off the MoT I was having as it outside the renewal window. I pay (they did the MoT anyway!), pick it up and set off and the chain clanks away. I get off and check and see it's slack, but no big problem - I'll just sort it at home. Set off again and the football traffic is in full swing so filter a little and keep my eyes open. After I clear some traffic I notice that the speedo isn't reading. Too late to double back with the traffic as it is, so I press on home. I spot a woman about to go through a red on her side and green on mine so go to give her a toot - the horn isn't working!
Anyway, get home and check out the speedo cable - seems ok. Check out the horn by feeling around the lower after-market fairing and can feel the horn connectors at the 7 o'clock position and not connected.

Rather than take the fairing off and sort the horn out myself I decided to leave it for Lloyd Cooper as I intended to go back and ask about the speedo. When I go back Tuesday I'm told that some part of the speedo has cracked and that they'll need a new part. They said that they'll do the fitting if I pay for the part.

The part's not turned up yet, since Tuesday gone, but I thought I'd google around and see what turns up. From some old posts here and elsewhere it looks as though a clumsiness may be the reason for the bust speedo:

http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=158240
http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ssues-Easy-fix.

Maybe it was old, but together with everything else it just looks a little poor, I get the impression of a lack of care.

To be fair, they have been fine in the past, though I alternate between there and Ford & Ellis in Chesham. And, the part itself is around £20, I see so it's not too bad cost-wise (though it's yet to turn up at the garage). And, the bike has done over 50k...

Am I expecting too much, have I been just unlucky or was Lloyd Cooper a little cack-handed? The weird thing is that they gave me a clean MoT - with no horn.
Old 21-10-11, 07:24 PM   #2
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: Lloyd Cooper Watford - Clumsy or bad luck?

according to their website they should have done everything except change the spark plugs.

http://service.lloyd-cooper.com/home...-suzuki-yamaha

with you going in early sounds like they are rather quiet work wise.

i for one would not be happy at the service i received especially as they are a main dealer for 3 of the top named bikes.

shoddy workmanship if you ask me. i would not be paying a single penny for them to replace the speedo drive.

did you receive a print out of the work that was supposed to have been done?
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-11, 07:37 PM   #3
bydna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
did you receive a print out of the work that was supposed to have been done?
Sorry, the plugs are included in the service, I made a mistake - it was the Platinum Plus I went for. I usually get a big service done before the winter. I asked for the tyres too as they were down to the wear indicator. Yep - got the print out too.

Cheers for seeing the same p.o.v. I hinted that I expected it done for nowt but the bloke behind the desk wasn't in agreement. Might try again when I take it back, but I'm not holding out. Might be best just not to go back again once it's sorted.

Last edited by bydna; 21-10-11 at 07:40 PM.
Old 21-10-11, 07:45 PM   #4
Bibio
Mega Poster

don't be a wuss and grow a pair. they fecked up simples. their problem not yours, they also left you with a loose chain and an inoperative horn that they then proceeded to pass an MOT for. i would be asking myself what other stuff have they not done or messed up.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-11, 07:49 PM   #5
bydna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
don't be a wuss and grow a pair. they fecked up simples. their problem not yours, they also left you with a loose chain and an inoperative horn that they then proceeded to pass an MOT for. i would be asking myself what other stuff have they not done or messed up.
That had crossed my mind.

I'll see how I get on when I go back.
Old 21-10-11, 11:57 PM   #6
Lozzo

1) The front wheel came out and went back in to do the tyre replacement - they incorrectly fitted the speedo drive when refitting (easily done but that's no excuse, they are a Suzuki main dealer so they should be aware of this) so they are obliged to supply and fit a new one.
2) They MOT'd a bike with no horn working - I'd point this fact out to them when they start getting shirty. VOSA may like to take a little look at how they conduct MOTs.
3) The chain wasn't adjusted correctly, if they adjusted it at all - that's three things they got wrong or neglected to do to your satisfaction. Btw, chain tension is a part of the MOT test, so that's two MOT fail points you have as leverage.

Get back in there and ask again that they think again about rectifying the problems they caused with your bike or you'll be forced to take the matter further.

You presumably paid a lot of money for a platinum plus service and as such expect all the work you contracted them to do to be done to a satisfactory standard. Obviously they haven't done this so you want them to remedy any faults and for a different technician to check over the bike to ensure that whoever did the work completed the other items on the schedule to a satisfactory standard. the fact your bike has 50K miles is irrelevant, fact is the horn worked before the service and somewhere along the line they managed to disconnect it - the speedo worked before the service and somehow they managed to break the speedo drive when refitting the front wheel.
Old 04-11-11, 06:39 AM   #7
bydna

Just an update to to round it all off. I went back in last week and had the speedo drive fitted. When I came back to pick it up they waived the charge for the part. So, no additional money spent and back on the road.

All's well that ends well. Thanks for the advice too lads.
Old 04-11-11, 08:30 AM   #8
Spanner Man
Mega Poster

Good morning all.

Do Lloyd Cooper's services include parts at that price? I doubt it somehow. On a CBR900rr the spark plugs are somewhere in the £60 region. Their 'Gold Plus' service includes spark plug replacement leaving not a lot of profit from £229 when the cost of an oil & filter is taken out.
Furthermore, why do they replace spark plugs on a 'Gold service' & not on a Platinum one?

It seems to me to be a load of cobblers! There seems to be a lot of 'inspecting' & not a great deal of actual spannering. Even their Platinum plus, service doesn't mention coolant replacement. Which, should be done every two years.

Cheers.

P.S. There's no such thing as long life spark plugs. Even Iridium plugs should still be changed at the standard intervals.
Old 04-11-11, 10:04 AM   #9
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Doesn't sound very platinum...

I'd say you're perfectly justified in going back and getting them to sort it, and it is not one bit your liability to pay for it.
Old 04-11-11, 10:14 AM   #10
hardhat_harry

NGK Itanium spark plugs CR9E are £30 for four at cost price normal NGK are £30 for 10 (they only sell them in 10's) so there is still plenty of profit after changing them.