SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 07-04-13, 11:56 AM   #1
sv650kent

Default Insurance or not? Help and advise please.

my sv650 was parked in my work carpark yesterday which was empty.
a hour and half after arriving at work a supplier van pulls into the secure carpark and out of all the empty spaces he decideds to reverse park into he bay next to my bike.
he then reverses straight into my bike knocking it over and pushing it into the wall behind the space.

i have it recorded on my work cctv camera and the guy came and found me to tell me what he did.
i looked over the bike and the only visible damage i could see is wing mirror,bar end and clutch cable clutch lever were ripped off. rear fairing was all scratched up and the rear middle fairing above the tail light was cracked.

the guy said i could go through his work van insurance or he could give me a cheque for the damage.
what do you think i should do as i was going to charge him for

one clutch lever
one clutch cable
rear left fairing
rear midde fairing
wing mirror with indicator built in
bar end
one full service as the garage as im not sure if anything real is damaged such as forks
one days worth of fitting

or should i just go through his insurance.

cheers for your advise

j
Old 07-04-13, 12:06 PM   #2
craig dow

Default Re: help and advise needed please

what a shame , def go through his insurance , get the bike to a decent garage get them to check the whole bike over and then get a price for the bike to be repaired , that way you know you haven't under cut yourself with the price of repairing it and it will be done right , and you haven't got to spend the time doing it your self , and if there is any thing you have not seen that is damaged then that will be done , his stupid fault , why should you suffer ,
Old 07-04-13, 12:12 PM   #3
Kenzie

Go through the insurance. At least then you will know everything will get sorted.
Kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-13, 12:36 PM   #4
sv650kent

thanks for the advice
even though his insurance is going to pay for it will it effect my premuim when i renew in a few months.

also i have a few items on the bike that are not declared such as a remus exhaust and indicator mirrors will that effect my claim
Old 07-04-13, 12:54 PM   #5
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

No It is his insurance that pays so mods to your bike wont affect it.There may be a temporary affect on your premium while it is sorted as a non fault claim which you have to declare at renewal.
Old 17-04-13, 02:04 PM   #6
nikon70

Default Re: Insurance or not? Help and advise please.

two options, insurance, or have it looked over at your local garage and request a parts list and cost to replace then make him pay that.

insurance could try it on, and this is only if the van insurance company are tight, i.e. your bike is 6 years old... so they could give you a 'used' replacement parts cost - not a new for old cost, or repair only. labour is set so that wont change.

will it affect your premium... yes but only slightly! teeny weeny bit, you can offset this by addinf someone else onto your insurance as a named rider (sometimes this works)...

shame that you get shafted for his mistake.
Old 17-04-13, 02:32 PM   #7
sv650kent

Hey guys here's a update.
insurance company took it and wrote it off as a cat d.
they are giving me 2500 pounds and said I can buy it back from them for 700.
I will buy it back and fix it myself. Need to get new bars, rear seat center fairing. New levers, clutch cable and mirrors.
if anyone is selling the light blue fairing I'm interested as mine is fine just covered in scratches which ideally I would like to replace.

thank you for all your help and advice, really appreciate how the SV community helps out.

be safe and keep rubber down and plastic up.

j
Old 17-04-13, 03:53 PM   #8
Trickster2445

Hi Pal I work for an insurance company. If you have not already accepted their offer, pm me your reg number and I will get one of our assessors to print me a proper top price off.

I got ny bro in law an extra 1000 quid on his 5000 quid car last year.

Unfortunately you need to haggle with insurance companies these days. Both for payout and especially buy back. You gotta remember that storage will cost them in the region of 50 pounds a day and a professional salvage company would only give the naybe 350 quid for it so its in their interest to get shut asp.

Ricky
Old 17-04-13, 06:54 PM   #9
WeegieBlue

Default Insurance or not? Help and advise please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickster2445 View Post
Hi Pal I work for an insurance company. If you have not already accepted their offer, pm me your reg number and I will get one of our assessors to print me a proper top price off.

I got ny bro in law an extra 1000 quid on his 5000 quid car last year.

Unfortunately you need to haggle with insurance companies these days. Both for payout and especially buy back. You gotta remember that storage will cost them in the region of 50 pounds a day and a professional salvage company would only give the naybe 350 quid for it so its in their interest to get shut asp.

Ricky
This.

I worked for RBS insurance for 18 months and there's defo room to get more for your write off and less for your buy back. If Ricky can help you out then go for it. Could be £00's better off.
Old 18-04-13, 03:36 PM   #10
nikon70

Ricky - would you be willing to offer that to others who have had write offs?

You'll be invaluable to know when it comes to getting blood out of a stone.
I mean getting money out of an insurance company.