SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 01-08-05, 08:37 AM   #1
Dave C

Default Corrosion

Hi all

I've had my 05 sv for about 4 months now. Due to various commitments it hasn't been ridden that much and has spent most of it's time under it's cover in my garden.

Went out for a nice ride on Sunday and when putting it away I noticed that the starter motor was furred up nicely. On closer inspection the chain adjusters and a couple of bolts were also furred up.

Bearing in mind that my bike has only been out in the wet once (a number of months ago) I was a bit suprised that this happened. I used to own an old bandit and despite living out of doors for four years I had no such problems.

Has anyone else had this problem? I know that bikes are not as robust as cars, however this level of corrosion is a bit rediculous, especially after just four months.
Old 01-08-05, 09:38 AM   #2
SV650Racer

It might be worth un covering the bike in humid weather. It can get very damp under a wet cover and then not be able to dry off properly making an corrosion problems worse. Rust feeds on damp conditions.

I used to keep my bikes outdoors and found that using a cover actually did less to protect the bike than i thought.

best off leaving it uncovered so the air can circulate and dry the bike off rather than it staying damp.
Old 01-08-05, 10:15 AM   #3
jon

What cover are you using?

I have a stormex which tends to leak a bit, causing havoc in warm weather. Jonboy will come a long and praise the rainex anytime soon, i think i'll order one of those.
Old 01-08-05, 11:24 AM   #4
Dave C

I'm using a cover from classic additions. 100% waterproof, recommend it. Been using the same one for the last four years, still waterproof after all this time.

My query was not really about rain leaking in (as I know it's not) rather the fact that components are corroding on a 4 month old bike. Even with periodical exposure to condensation etc I would not expect this.
Old 01-08-05, 03:35 PM   #5
kwak zzr

same happened to mine! its never been ridden in the wet and its garaged! just cheap crap parts i surpose? i try to keep it mint but its like fighting a loosing battle with suzuki, and like you i had a new bandit 98 which i kept in the shed and i never had such problems.
Old 01-08-05, 03:40 PM   #6
Dave C

I've had a chat to the dealer this afternoon and expressed my displeasure.

I will now have to take my bike into them and they will photgraph the offending parts and sent the photos off to Suzuki.

Don't suppose anything will come of it as it may be a case of "they all do that". But you never know.

Suzuki could at least paint/lacquer the parts made of cheap alloy.
Old 01-08-05, 03:54 PM   #7
kwak zzr

this is what i've always said "how much more would it cost to finish it off well! NOT MUCH. they do spoil very good bikes with cheap nuts and bolts.