SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 07-06-08, 12:45 PM   #1
gazza

Default Cornering fastest, Which tyres?

Which tyres suit the sv650 k7 best for high speed cornering & handling? Tyre life doesn't matter, but must be road legal. Also can anyone give a firm answer on wether a TRE module is worth fitting. I am having the front forks sorted out by K-TECH(£410) and have ordered a NITRON shock(£445), should corner really well when i fit it all and put some good tyres on.
Old 07-06-08, 02:45 PM   #2
Dangerous Dave

Default Re: Cornering fastest, Which tyres?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazza View Post
Also can anyone give a firm answer on wether a TRE module is worth fitting.
Not worth it, the SV is only very slightly retarded for emissions laws so the TRE mod really doesn't bring much back and is proven to be non performance enhancing on an SV650. The advertisement blurb is aimed at other bikes which are more limited and simply because the product range accommodates the SV a lot of people assume it is going to do the same thing to there SV650.
Old 07-06-08, 02:50 PM   #3
Sideshow#36

Yup. TRE's are crap and not worth it. Tyres I would have to say Pirelli Supercorsas. They need a little warming up first though before you can go balls out.
Old 07-06-08, 02:53 PM   #4
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Race or road?
Old 07-06-08, 06:06 PM   #5
gazza

I want the tyres for fast road use mainly and a few track days. I also go to the Isle of Man a few times a year just so i can go as fast as i want to without having to worry about a copper hiding in a hedge with a speed gun.
Old 07-06-08, 06:56 PM   #6
Aiki

Bike magazine did a sportsbike tyre test this month and the Pirellia Diablo Rosso were the quickest round their test track. HTH
Old 07-06-08, 07:22 PM   #7
Tim in Belgium

Metzeler Rennsport roads are very sticky, and cheap, but tyre life can be short, testing them out on track on Monday so will let you know. I love them on warm dry roads though.
Old 08-06-08, 04:55 PM   #8
northwind
Mega Poster

Think the tyre of choice for the racers is the supercorsa pro? But they really don't last.

Aiki's right on the Diablo Rosso, it's not a supersticky tyre (that test was for soft road rather than road-legal race) but I reckon it'll be more than adequate for most, very few people will get the most out of really sticky rubber even on track never mind on the road- visibility and surfaces become a problem first. But only you know your riding of course. Personally I use Diablo Stradas on the road, I've never had a problem with their grip, but that might not suit everyone (I've used Supercorsas and Rennsports (track compound not the road version) on track, both fantastic tyres, but I wouldn't use them on the road as they offer grip and composure I don't need, at the cost of mileage which I do)

If you want really sticky rubber, race take-offs might be a good idea. The ebay used tyre market's gone nuts now but buying trackside is still a good way to do it. At least, it is at knockhill wander around the paddock with a few £20 notes and get your pick of the half-used rubber.
But we're oh so easily swayed"

Last edited by northwind; 08-06-08 at 05:13 PM.
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-08, 05:03 PM   #9
Balky001
Mega Poster

Metzeler M3 or Diablo Rosso would be enough for the SV if you are using them road with some track days. Even the Conti SportAttacks are good for both but turn is is sloooooowwwwwwwwww. I'd go metz or Pirelli myself