SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 16-08-09, 09:20 PM   #1
paiste

Default Just fitted ZX636r Shock.

I've just spent today fettling with the steed and fitted my 05ZX636r shock.
Not managed to take it for a yest ride yet as rear pads have worn out and the pins have seized solid ( that's another story)
It may be my imagination but the seat height feels a bit lower?
side by side the length of the shocks seemed the same. not realy sure how this has happened, if at all maybe just a figment of my imagination
Question is could I have done something wrong to result in this?
I also took off the linkage to grease the bearings, but it seemed to only fit one way?
Also any idea wht the standard seat height is for a curvy svs
Thank you orgers
Old 16-08-09, 09:35 PM   #2
davepreston

Default Re: Just fitted ZX636r Shock.

the preload and sag could be diferent that would change the seat height from your standard setup which is to be expected
Old 17-08-09, 06:17 AM   #3
Geoffrey

softer spring maybe, as said above the preload is most likely out among other things
Old 17-08-09, 08:08 AM   #4
plowsie

Same with the Busa shock I had on mine, adjusted a few settings and all was good.
Old 18-08-09, 09:56 AM   #5
paiste

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepreston View Post
the preload and sag could be diferent that would change the seat height from your standard setup which is to be expected
Really stupid question, but how will that change the seat height?
Also does anyone know what size C spanner I'll need to adjust the preload on an 05/06 ZXR6 shock?

After Pete and Lissa sorted me out with a rear caliper, I tried the new shock and was really pleasantly surprised. It seems to have really transformed the back end of the bike. Engine braking when changing down the gears seems a lot smoother. Doesn't feel as jumpy over pot hole etc. Not got a clue how to set up the shock for my weight, so may be even better when I can get that sorted.
Old 18-08-09, 10:25 AM   #6
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by paiste1 View Post
Really stupid question, but how will that change the seat height?
Not enough pre-load will allow the shock to 'give' to much under your weight, making the seat height lower. To much pre-load and the shock won't give enough, meaning that the seat height will be a bit higher.

You need to set the preload so that the rear of the bike sags about 35-40mm with you onboard in full kit, in the riding position, which means setting the sag is a two man job. There is plenty of information about setting sag on here if you look.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-09, 10:54 AM   #7
flymo
Mega Poster

Although sag affects ride height it shouldnt be used to adjust it in ideal circumstances, its just that you dont normally get both types of adjustment on a stock shock.

On most race shocks and an increasing number of sport bikes shocks, you get a seperate ride height adjuster that allows you to alter the length of the shock without altering pre-load.

In this case you may not have a choice of course. If you find that you need to alter pre-load excessively to get a ride height you are comfortable with you might want to consider changing dog bones instead.

Last edited by flymo; 18-08-09 at 10:56 AM.
flymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-09, 12:11 PM   #8
paiste

Quote:
Originally Posted by flymo View Post
In this case you may not have a choice of course. If you find that you need to alter pre-load excessively to get a ride height you are comfortable with you might want to consider changing dog bones instead.
That's what I've done. Although This will probably highlight the need to get the front end sorted
Thanks for the help and I will use the search function