SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 16-09-10, 12:40 AM   #1
fezzer

Default Lost keys- steering locked!

Hey guys/gals.

First time posting on this forum.

I purchased a bike from a scrap yard, it is a sv650 2006. 12,000km, yellow. It needed a new tank, had no keys, and the steering is locked. Sketchy story. Apparently it was found abandoned, no record found with the VIN, no plates. I called the police to see if it was stolen, they had no record of it.

Long story short.(tried a locksmith- they couldn't help, as there was no match with the numbers of the barrel side) I tried to drill out the ignition with a HSS bit. I made it through, couldn't turn the lock though, as the screwdriver i was using to try and turn it snapped off. I need to remove the lock before i can take off the top plate to replace the ignition. I would love to take it out for a spin before the season is over.

Any suggestions? I am out of ideas.

Thanks.
Old 16-09-10, 08:11 AM   #2
Berlin

Default Re: Lost keys- steering locked!

Unscrew the ignition lock and take it off?
Old 16-09-10, 08:33 AM   #3
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

ITT : Incompetent thief asks the internet for help...
(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...
the_lone_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-10, 09:00 AM   #4
fezzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berlin View Post
Unscrew the ignition lock and take it off?
My understanding is I can't remove the ignition lock, as the pin that locks the handlebars will be still in the frame, which won't allow me to actually take the top plate off. May be I am misunderstanding what you mean. I am new to the forum, so may be you can PM me, with a little more detail. Thanks for your help. I appreciate your feedback! Cheers!
Old 16-09-10, 09:30 AM   #5
DaveW_42

Drop the forks out. Remove the top and bottom yokes and the barrel should come off with the top yoke. You should then be able to get at the bolts underneath.
Old 16-09-10, 12:43 PM   #6
danf1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lone_wolf View Post
ITT : Incompetent thief asks the internet for help...

Have to admit my first thought. Stange request for a first post.
Old 16-09-10, 01:27 PM   #7
WeegieBlue

Anyone know hot to get into my local Barclays after 9pm? I've left some stuff in the vault that I could do with getting out without drawing attention to myself. Any help much appreciated......
Old 16-09-10, 01:33 PM   #8
fezzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveWalker View Post
Drop the forks out. Remove the top and bottom yokes and the barrel should come off with the top yoke. You should then be able to get at the bolts underneath.
Hmm, I didn't think about taking the forks off. I assume that will essentially give me more room to operate under the stearing mount.

I'm just worried that because the steering is locked, the pin won't be able to slide out of the frame, hence why I thought it necessary to drill out the lock. Which turned out to be an epic failure!
Old 16-09-10, 01:50 PM   #9
Owenski

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveWalker View Post
would be my best bet.

loosen the allen bolts 4 on either yolk iirc, undo the headstock nut and remove the yolks from the bike altogther. You should be able to remove the barrell now I'd have thought.

Advice to anyone with a yellow SV in his area, lock it up safe tonight dont just leave it on the stearing lock.
Old 16-09-10, 01:51 PM   #10
fezzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeegieBlue View Post
Anyone know hot to get into my local Barclays after 9pm? I've left some stuff in the vault that I could do with getting out without drawing attention to myself. Any help much appreciated......
I was tempted not to reply to messages such as these, as it really detracts from my orginial question. However, I now realise why there are so many sceptics, this is a UK forum. High crime rate, over population, mass immigration/assylum seekers, no jobs, over educated university students due to the fact there are no jobs, over crowded commuter trains, and the list goes on. I left the UK in 96 for Canada, to continue my career as a thief! However, my younger brother goes to dental school in the UK. So, all my sources are second hand, (BBC etc).

As for breaking in to your local Barclays, switch to Natwest (don't think it exisits anymore lol), probably RBS. I could provide you a few tips.

Do people really think thieves frequent these forums for tips how to steal bikes? You may be right, but it definitely wouldn't be my first choice!

Cheers