SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 19-08-13, 08:16 AM   #1
Phil 1

Default Listening to music while riding?

Just wondered what the general consensus on this was? I keep thinking sometimes that maybe a bit of music might be nice for those occasions when you might be on a dual carriageway or motorway (I do avoid these when possible).

How would you get on with hearing engine noise and vehicles etc around you? I know you can get headphones which are more like ear plug types which will not only provide the music, but also cut down a lot on wind and engine noise.

I know there's a lot that ride without any ear protection and wouldn't ever dream of riding with any sort of music on as it could be seen as a distraction. Be nice to hear from the others too though that do listen to music.

Cheers guys
Old 19-08-13, 08:21 AM   #2
Matt-EUC
Mega Poster

Don't normally bother with ear plugs but its sometimes put on some music. It is nice to have but I tend to make sure it's music that can just play in the background and not something I would listen to intently. Skrillex for example.

White 650 V-Strom
-No mods
Blue curvy 650 (OMFG I FIXED IT!!!)
-200mm Delkevic Stubby.
Matt-EUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-13, 08:29 AM   #3
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

Default Re: Listening to music while riding?

I used to have it as part of my autocom and quite liked it on motorways. Do not however listen to something like the Prodigy on any twisties - very bad, you start to feel like you are in a video game.

What is needed is for someone to invent a system where the music is automatically raised and lowered depending on your speed and wind noise - as BMW have done on my car stereo which increases the volume as the speedo goes up.
Old 19-08-13, 08:43 AM   #4
LewSpeight
Mega Poster

I always have something in my ears, whether it be earplugs (cos my helmet is crap for wind noise) or 'in-ear' earphones. Never the normal type.
1) because it helps kill wind noise anyway, whether music is playing or not.
2) comfier under the helmet.

I'm most likely always listening to music when I'm on my own. I've got a separate playlist for it though, like LPH said, if I leave it on shuffle and suddenly get some Prodigy or Linkin Park.. I suddenly think I'm the fastest thing on earth and will probably die from it one day.

But yeh, sensible volume, sensible music taste, and life's bliss.
LewSpeight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-13, 08:44 AM   #5
TheRuffellator

I only really listen to music on longer trips away when it's more boring motorway/dual carriage way miles. I don't have it too loud and don't have a problem hearing other things. In-ear headphones seem to be the best IMO

Sent via Crayola using the black crayon.
Old 19-08-13, 09:23 AM   #6
JFitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewSpeight View Post
I always have something in my ears, whether it be earplugs (cos my helmet is crap for wind noise) or 'in-ear' earphones. Never the normal type.
1) because it helps kill wind noise anyway, whether music is playing or not.
2) comfier under the helmet.

I'm most likely always listening to music when I'm on my own. I've got a separate playlist for it though, like LPH said, if I leave it on shuffle and suddenly get some Prodigy or Linkin Park.. I suddenly think I'm the fastest thing on earth and will probably die from it one day.

But yeh, sensible volume, sensible music taste, and life's bliss.
+1 to that. Earplugs or in-ear headphones for me.

just keep in mind although you may feel like it you are not magically transformed into guy martin and filming another scene for TT closer to the edge
Old 19-08-13, 09:31 AM   #7
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Listen In one ear.(Scala rider)
Only on boaring roads.Well mostly.
FM's a bit crackerly so MP3 mostly

Last edited by NTECUK; 19-08-13 at 09:33 AM.
NTECUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-13, 09:42 AM   #8
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

I used to listen to it all the time, found it really helped me keep focused. is what you need

Get decent in ear headphones that will attenuate background noise.
Old 19-08-13, 09:46 AM   #9
nikon70

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
I used to listen to it all the time, found it really helped me keep focused. is what you need

Get decent in ear headphones that will attenuate background noise.
+1

I tend to find some music makes me ride slower as I am enjoying the music, and I only have it low so I am still aware of surroundings.
Old 19-08-13, 11:52 AM   #10
RobGotPie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
I used to have it as part of my autocom and quite liked it on motorways. Do not however listen to something like the Prodigy on any twisties - very bad, you start to feel like you are in a video game.

What is needed is for someone to invent a system where the music is automatically raised and lowered depending on your speed and wind noise - as BMW have done on my car stereo which increases the volume as the speedo goes up.
some bluetooth intercoms do this already - the Sharktooth system does. It is a bit pricey though - and ofc only for certain shark lids.

I ride with music through my intercom -i find that i can hear other vehicles nearby (and my engine) a little better than when i was using in-ear phones. I've never had troubles hearing sirens when i had my earphones in, but i dont listen to bassy music turned up high.

A bit of bad religion/nofx/soad in the twisties is just unbeatable!