SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 03-02-15, 06:03 PM   #21
Spank86

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heorot View Post
We came back from the NEC to South Norfolk yesterday; M6, A14, A11, all dual carriageways. Hardly any cameras on the M6 or A14 until Huntingdonshire and then there were average sped camera all the way. Once out of Hunts and Cambs and into Suffolk and Norfolk, there were hardly any cameras at all.

So, a straight dual carriageway in Hunts & Cambs is more dangerous than the M6? I don’t think so. Money Money Money.
We were discussing the M25.

As for the A11 I wouldn't really know Everytime I've been near it I've avoided it due to accidents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L3nny View Post
If you think speed cameras, are there to improve your safety you are deluded.
Depends which ones and where you live. The guidelines for them are different in different places but Primarily they are there to enforce the law.

I have the same attitude to them as I do to overdraft fees, if you don't like it don't trigger them,

If they were really about revenue raising only I'd be ecstatic because it ought to lead the government to remove the points part of the punishment and I could treat it as a tax on enjoyment.

Last edited by Spank86; 03-02-15 at 06:06 PM.
Old 03-02-15, 08:03 PM   #22
wyrdness

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post
On the M25 they are on the overhead gantries, so blend in & if you can remember the position of every gantry with a camera on, you're a better man than me.
Not the new ones. They're on the side of the gantry.

There's a picture in the article below, but there's quite a few of them on the M25 now, not just the ones mentioned in the story.

http://www.sevenoakschronicle.co.uk/...ail/story.html

Last edited by wyrdness; 03-02-15 at 08:05 PM.
Old 03-02-15, 08:26 PM   #23
L3nny
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spank86 View Post
If they were really about revenue raising only I'd be ecstatic because it ought to lead the government to remove the points part of the punishment and I could treat it as a tax on enjoyment.
Points increase insurance premiums meaning more insurance premium tax.

Coincidence???

Or am I just wearing a tin hat now?
Old 03-02-15, 08:31 PM   #24
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyrdness View Post
There's a picture in the article below, but there's quite a few of them on the M25 now, not just the ones mentioned in the story.

http://www.sevenoakschronicle.co.uk/...ail/story.html
But none of these scare stories state at what speed the cameras were triggered. We don't know if got a ticket for 71 or 81 or 101. So 700 odd folks got tickets in two months, but how many thousands didn't. You're basically getting worked up on rumour, because we don't know what speed triggers these cameras.

Sent from my HTC One
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-15, 08:59 PM   #25
Spank86

Quote:
Originally Posted by L3nny View Post
Points increase insurance premiums meaning more insurance premium tax.

Coincidence???

Or am I just wearing a tin hat now?
It's at least a kitkat wrapper on your head.

I think you'd be giving the government too much credit for ability there.
Old 03-02-15, 11:23 PM   #26
keith_d
Mega Poster

Default Re: Motorway Speed Cameras

As someone has already pointed out, if the main goal was road safety they should use clearly visible average speed cameras. They're a proven technology, and judging by their effect in road works they do work.

The locations of the new cameras will quickly become common knowledge among the people using the affected roads regularly, so they can still drive as badly as before. So it's only people new to the area who are likely to be caught out, either by the camera or the sudden braking of one of the locals.

Personally, I think this looks like a cynical revenue raising opportunity, rather than anything vaguely connected with road safety.

Just my thoughts,

Keith.
keith_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-15, 09:31 AM   #27
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants View Post
But none of these scare stories state at what speed the cameras were triggered. We don't know if got a ticket for 71 or 81 or 101. Sent from my HTC One
According to Clarkson & co, Steve Harley was done for doing 70mph in a 40mph limit, after a temp 40mph limit was put up on the signs. Whether he saw the signs, only SH knows, but he was done for £1000? I always take Top Gear stories with a pinch of salt. But how soon do the cameras become active after the limit is lowered? Do they become active after the first vehicles pass the new limit sign, or instantly the limit is changed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith_d View Post
As someone has already pointed out, if the main goal was road safety they should use clearly visible average speed cameras. They're a proven technology, and judging by their effect in road works they do work.

The locations of the new cameras will quickly become common knowledge among the people using the affected roads regularly, so they can still drive as badly as before. So it's only people new to the area who are likely to be caught out, either by the camera or the sudden braking of one of the locals.
Keith.
Yes.

Wyrdness, that's what I meant when I said they were on the overhead gantries, they are bloody impossible to see.

Last edited by maviczap; 04-02-15 at 10:06 AM.
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-15, 11:40 AM   #28
Heorot

Spank, no need to avoid the A11 any more. It is completely dualled now.

Honda 125 CG blown engine Gone to the great mechanic in the sky
Naked SV650 K3 in Silver
Heorot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-15, 12:34 PM   #29
L3nny
Mega Poster

Quote:
so they can still drive as badly as before.

You can still drive badly and extremely dangerously while remaining under the speed limit, you can also drive impeccably and extremely safely while breaking the speed limit.

Speed cameras only measure speed, nothing to do with how well you are driving. Hence why it's got nothing to do with safety.
Old 04-02-15, 12:47 PM   #30
ophic
Mega Poster

Quote:
Perhaps they're testing whether advertised but hidden cameras have the same effect but at less cost. In theory - if you know there's a camera somewhere but you don't know where, you wouldn't break the speed limit.