SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 31-07-16, 12:11 PM   #31
macamxthe1st

Default Re: Street Twin?

Having owned 5 air cooled Bonnevilles and covering over 50,000 miles on them I was all set to buy a new Street Twin having extensively test ridden one. However due to early availability issues, reluctance to buy a bike in it's first year of production (fears that would seam to be unfounded) and having been offered a cracking deal by a dealer friend on the new SV I decided to go with the SV for a year to see how the Street Twin turned out. I am so glad that I did. I have now done nearly 4,000 miles on the SV since May and I am absolutely delighted with it. Last month I went back and again test rode the Street Twin so that I could evaluate both bikes back to back and you know what, after half an hour on the Street Twin I could not wait to get back on the SV. To further make the point I have also sampled examples from other manufactures lately as diverse as BMW, Harley Davidson and Honda all to the same effect, "Thank you for that" now where's my beloved SV. When you factor in price as well (approximately two thirds that of the Street Twin) the SV becomes even more compelling.

Geoff.
Old 01-08-16, 07:05 PM   #32
Mega Poster

I took the Thruxton R for a spin, very almost pressed the button on a finance deal...then remembered I was getting married a few days later, so gave it a miss. It's a seriously, SERIOUSLY good bike.

I'm no Vlogger but here's the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gd7UbvInhTA
Old 21-11-16, 01:12 PM   #33
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

So, Triumph have now added some more new models to their Modern Classics lineup and I have more choices. As I don't really want anything heavier than my GSX-F the much lighter/smaller Street Twin was topping my list but now there is an updated (nicer) version of the T100 it's all changed again. The Bobber and Cafe racer styles are not for me but this new T100 is looking more like it. The old one got lukewarm reviews but so far the 2017 revamp model is praised from the launch events. Will line up some test rides in the Spring and see how they go.

Choices choices...
Old 04-12-16, 06:02 PM   #34
Mickle

Wife got her red street twin at the start of 66 plate, it's her first big bike.
I find it small and very narrow, but she is little so suits her.
She loves it and even now it's cold she is enthusiastic about riding it.

Last edited by Mickle; 04-12-16 at 06:04 PM.
Mickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-16, 08:31 PM   #35
Blapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickle View Post
Wife got her red street twin at the start of 66 plate, it's her first big bike.
I find it small and very narrow, but she is little so suits her.
She loves it and even now it's cold she is enthusiastic about riding it.
Sounds like a perfect bike to me. Small, light and two cylinders.
Blapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-16, 10:38 AM   #36
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Is this the same 900cc street twin that gives out 55bhp and redlines at about 6500 ? sounds like the Honda NC750 but less refined and without the on-board storage and trick Honda gearbox. is this the 'ultimate Triumph' of style over substance -- WTF - do people buy if for the badge ? Why would you get one over a new SV,

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-16, 11:28 AM   #37
wyrdness

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
Is this the same 900cc street twin that gives out 55bhp and redlines at about 6500 ? sounds like the Honda NC750 but less refined and without the on-board storage and trick Honda gearbox. is this the 'ultimate Triumph' of style over substance -- WTF - do people buy if for the badge ? Why would you get one over a new SV,
I haven't ridden either, but looking at the torque curves it seems as if at just over 3000rpm, the NC750 is putting out just over 40ft/lb of torque, whilst the Street Twin is nearly 60. That would make a big difference for real-world riding.

There's a lot more to any bike than just specs on paper and the Street Twin has been getting univerally great reviews. Why not go and read a few of them?
Old 06-12-16, 01:41 PM   #38
macamxthe1st

I have owned several air cooled Bonnevilles and really enjoyed them. Extensively rode the Street Twin a few months ago and found it to be a great improvement over the previous air cooled models and I think a lot of reports are comparatively pitched hence the very positive stance. I did however ride the Street Twin back to back with my 2016 SV, let's just say that I was very pleased to get back on my SV so much so that I was more than a little surprised myself.

Geoff.
Old 06-12-16, 03:03 PM   #39
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyrdness View Post
I haven't ridden either, but looking at the torque
There's a lot more to any bike than just specs on paper and the Street Twin has been getting univerally great reviews. Why not go and read a few of them?
I have read reviews and seen it described as a cruiser with the wrong riding position and also as a 'sportbike' (with a seriously lazy engine) - also only a five speed box in this day and age, OK you could say it has the torque to not need 6 gears, but that extra gear never hurts, whether it gives you better acceleration or better mpg (as an overdrive top gear). OK it is definitely retro, which seems to be the in word these days, with a touch of badge snobbery, again quite common these days (GS1200 anyone, the Chelsea Tractor of the motorbike world, which my mate calls 'the cl!tor!s' - because when you see one there is a c*nt not far away).

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-16, 03:17 PM   #40
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

The styling may be a bit Marmite but that's why there is so much choice in the market. Personally I don't like the modern back end of many bikes, even so-called sports-touring models - they're often slanted upwards and taper out to a point, which does not do it for me. Call me a traditionalist if you like but I prefer the profile of older models and something that will not look ridiculous with a topbox bolted to it. I'm also not too bothered about outright performance so something with good midrange is fine for me.

The T100 is more than I'd like to pay for a bike but if it ticks the boxes once I've had chance to have a test ride then I'll just save up a bit more. If it doesn't then I'll hang on to my GSX-F for a bit longer until something else comes along as there's precious litle else that tickles my fancy right now.