SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 13-12-16, 10:59 AM   #21
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Default Re: SV650s to Street Triple?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heorot View Post
I was offered £1000 trade-in against my k3 which brought the price down to £4000 net for the non-abs version or £4500 with abs. Still thinking about it. The only thing I didn't like was the digital display but I could learn to live with it.
I think L7 digital display is really neat, with engine temp, gear position, fuel level, remaining miles etc. I find it very informative and easy to read and a lot of bike makers seem to be going for the horizontal tacho now.

I have seen comments from people who tested MT-07 that because their instrument display is on the rider side of handlebars it is a distinct effort to look down, the Suzuki L7 display is forard of the bars, more in your normal sight line.

The only thing I added (and have done this on other bikes) was a couple of bright blue 5mm LED's wired into the turn indicator circuit (the connections are available inside the headlight shroud) - I find the little green arrow lights fitted to most bikes are pants, and having seen the result of leaving a turn signal flashing on a bike I think it is probably one of the best safety things I have done. Will try to get photo on here, but because they flash its a bit hit and miss LOL - a video would be better.

picture of one blue LED, both (with hazards on) and unlit - they are mounted in the instrument cover via a couple of half round indents made with small round file (held in place with hot-melt glue)

I bought mine from Maplin a few years ago, can't find them in catalogue but worth an ask in a shop - similar to these
https://www.amazon.co.uk/20pcs-Lamp-.../dp/B00H98OS2W
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02578.jpg (105.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02576.jpg (110.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02583.jpg (120.9 KB, 0 views)

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 13-12-16 at 11:50 AM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-16, 11:36 AM   #22
macamxthe1st

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post

The only thing I added (and have done this on other bikes) was a couple of bright blue 5mm LED's wired into the turn indicator circuit (the connections are available inside the headlight shroud) - I find the little green arrow lights fitted to most bikes are pants, and having seen the result of leaving a turn signal flashing on a bike I think it is probably one of the best safety things I have done.
Excellent little mod. I don't care how experienced you are it is something everyone does at some time and as you say the penalty can far outweigh the crime.

Geoff.
Old 13-12-16, 12:37 PM   #23
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Oddly I can't remember a vibration on my old 675 (2013-) or any vibes on my Tiger 800????
Old 13-12-16, 12:55 PM   #24
BoltonSte
Mega Poster

Everyone else has covered the good bits. I have kriega on mine. I have an old set so bought the new s-hook straps, the loops go under the subframe and are on there permanently with just a little bit sticking out. The hooks on the bag. The US-10 is about the same width as the tail so will be fine, I have been camping with the full 2 x 10's and 20 on and it was fine.
BoltonSte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-16, 01:46 PM   #25
carelesschucca
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by macamxthe1st View Post
the very unpleasant vibration patch on the Triple.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NTECUK View Post
Oddly I can't remember a vibration on my old 675 (2013-) or any vibes on my Tiger 800????
Please don't take this as cheek,you mention vibration patch, can you give more info? The fact NTECUK seems confused too.

I will be honest amd say I have had a vibration issue on the Street and it was very specific and because there was something wrong that could be sorted. Having said that your vibration might be completely different.

God I'm so nosey

sv650s (gone) gsx-r600 (gone) Street R675 (now living in Inbhir Nis )

Last edited by carelesschucca; 13-12-16 at 01:47 PM.
carelesschucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-16, 02:02 PM   #26
Seeker
Mega Poster

I went from a SV650S to a 2012 Street Triple and back to a new SV650 (the L7).

I know the Triumph is lighter but it didn't feel that way to me, it felt bulkier, more solid and more stable at speed.
It is a lot thirstier than the SV; I'm a slow rider these days so the triple was wasted on me but it felt a lot quicker than than the SV which you'd expect with another 25 bhp. Ridden slowly, I would get 51 mpg on the triple, the new SV ridden similarly gives 75 mpg.
The triple runs hot too, the fan comes on very quickly in the summer and you feel the heat at traffic lights. At low speeds it is noisy, the whistling blender noise is apparent even with ear plugs, it never bothered me but people would stop and look to see what the noise was (I had stock, high level pipes).
The suspension on the non-R (mine) was harsh - I had the forks rebuilt by Reactive Suspension of York and bought a Nitron rear shock but it was never a "plush" feel (I understand the R is better). I'm only 5'6 and I found the riding position comfortable on the triple with a slight forward lean, some complain about the seat but I found it ok.
Overall, mine was reliable in 9000 miles/1 year, I had many "niggles" with switches but it wouldn't stop me buying another if I wanted a quicker bike, the post-2012 models are more economical but someone on the US RAT site claims they are less reliable based on people posting problems. I don't think the triple likes short commutes but that's only my opinion.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-16, 03:40 PM   #27
macamxthe1st

Vibration Patch. between 6-8.000 rpm, it would induce tingling and numbness in my hands, right hand more effected than left.

Geoff.
Old 13-12-16, 04:42 PM   #28
Seeker
Mega Poster

the only time mine vibrated was if I opened the throttle wide in a high gear at low revs, other than that, mine was very smooth. I don't know where you're situated but there's a very well respected independent (Triumph certified) mechanic/guru in South Lincolnshire if you decide to buy a triple, people travel from the south coast for him to work on their bikes (he also runs maintenance classes): Clive Wood

Last edited by Seeker; 13-12-16 at 04:49 PM.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-16, 06:36 PM   #29
carelesschucca
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by macamxthe1st View Post
Vibration Patch. between 6-8.000 rpm, it would induce tingling and numbness in my hands, right hand more effected than left.

Geoff.
Gotcha, I know what you mean, I just didn't find it a hassle Its really sad that it did cause you an issue.

I do need to remember that my street is a toy, and nothing more, I commute maybe once or twice a month in the summer.

sv650s (gone) gsx-r600 (gone) Street R675 (now living in Inbhir Nis )
carelesschucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-16, 10:45 AM   #30
wyrdness

I had a 2013 Street Triple (non-R) for 3 years. It's a really great bike, much better than the SV. I didn't have a problem with vibration on mine. The only downside of the standard bike is that the suspension (particularly the rear) is pretty harsh. The R is apparently much better.

Triumph made a lot of changes between the 2012 and 2013 models, so any niggles with the earlier models may be sorted on the later ones. I had no issues at all with mine in three and a half years of daily riding. I'd definitely recommend the Street Triple as a step up from the SV.