SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 09-03-18, 08:42 AM   #1
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Default London not to include motorcycle in it's traffic congestion strategy

SADIQ KHAN’S NEW TRANSPORT STRATEGY IGNORE BENEFITS OF BIKERS
A few of you commute to the city?

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-...enefits-bikers
Old 09-03-18, 10:39 AM   #2
Talking Heads

Default Re: London not to include motorcycle in it's traffic congestion strategy

"The Mayor of London has 'placed the safety of hundreds of thousands of regular motorcycle and scooter riders at risk"

Sounds odd to me, ptw users are already at risk.

Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-18, 05:32 PM   #3
andy650

Default Re: London not to include motorcycle in it's traffic congestion strategy

More at risk with the stupid empty cycle lanes. Now there is no space to filter on the right, but loads of unusable space on the left, apparently it is progress......
andy650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-18, 02:03 PM   #4
NTECUK
Mega Poster

And no you can't always use the bus lanes
Old 23-03-18, 08:00 PM   #5
Toooldtodie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTECUK View Post
And no you can't always use the bus lanes
Especially in towns, where some can and some can't be used. Unless there are bus lane cameras, a copper admitted to me that they would turn a blind eye to ptw's using a bus lane. It is stupid that we are always overlooked as a solution to congestion.
Chelmsford had a PTW Strategy which was commissioned at the turn of the millennium and has been comprehensively ignored. This is why I have been a long-term member of MAG.
Don't just sit there and moan about obvious injustices, get active. If nothing else join the Motorcycle Action Group and get your voice heard. This is one of their No.1 lobbying points as well as the LEZ charge in London.
Old 28-03-18, 07:53 AM   #6
Red Herring
Mega Poster

I thought bikers in London didn't need number plates?

Sometimes the logic of politicians and our supposed leaders defeats me. They evolve our law enforcement policies and procedures to depend on reading number plates and sending due process to the registered owners yet at the same time the penalty for failing to register a vehicle, or better still failing to display a number plate, is a small non-endorsable penalty, and that's assuming you're daft enough to stop for them in the first place given they are so frightened of doing what is necessary to maintain public safety. The only reason their system "works" is because the vast majority of us actually are responsible enough to recognise the need for some discipline and respect around our regulations, but it's the small minority who exploit the weakness in the system that are responsible for much of the changes that impact on the rest of us.

Has it occurred to anyone else that one of the reasons they seem so intent on moving PTW vehicles away from the nearside is because it separates them from pedestrians? By doing so they are seen to be "doing something" about the vulnerability of pedestrians to either being hit, or more likely mugged, by scum bags on mopeds. We all know that is completely daft, but to your average "voter" it's powerful polling station points.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-18, 12:39 PM   #7
andy650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
Has it occurred to anyone else that one of the reasons they seem so intent on moving PTW vehicles away from the nearside is because it separates them from pedestrians?
Its not that, PTW's shouldn't be undertaking anyway......

The politicians simply don't consider PTW's. If we have a harder time or are discouraged due to other laws or changes, the politicians couldn't care less. We are collateral damage in their drive to reduce emissions and congestion.

The sad irony is that we should be part of the solution.....
andy650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-18, 01:56 PM   #8
ophic
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy650 View Post
Its not that, PTW's shouldn't be undertaking anyway......
Define undertaking.
If the traffic to your right is queuing, it's not undertaking.
Old 28-03-18, 01:59 PM   #9
ophic
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
Has it occurred to anyone else that one of the reasons they seem so intent on moving PTW vehicles away from the nearside is because it separates them from pedestrians?
It's a good policy. Pedestrians need separating. I'm sure we're all aware of the carnage that occurs when a myopic pedestrian lemming steps into traffic.
Old 28-03-18, 07:27 PM   #10
Red Herring
Mega Poster

I didn't say it wasn't a good idea to keep pedestrians separate, in fact I didn't express a view either way, I simply suggested that may be one of their reasons for denying PTWs the use of bus lanes or the cycle paths, which are invariably on the nearside (nothing to do with undertaking). The, perhaps unintended, consequence of that is that they get lumped in with the rest of the traffic which has been confined to less space already, and this makes it harder (and riskier) to filter.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote