SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

East Anglian Revolution If you're based in East Anglia, then this could be for you.

Old 25-10-09, 08:39 PM   #111
kellyjo

Default Re: 'Ere 'ere is the EAR Megathread

Wow, another orger just up the road! Hope youre gonna make it to the xmas meet, details to follow... I'm often riding around the town, if you see my faired red curvy and my OHs faired silver curvy please make sure you say hello!! x

Ooh toast and marmites ready, yum!!
Old 25-10-09, 08:54 PM   #112
maviczap
Mega Poster

Kellyjo,
Once you've got the sprocket cover off, then you're going to have to take the clutch worm drive off, so that you can get to the front sprocket retaining nut. 2 x 10mm nuts I think, or maybe 8mm

This is a 32mm jobbie, so you'll need to get hold of one of these, as most socket sets don't go that big. You can buy them singularly from a good tool shop.

Don't forget that the nut has a tab washer to stop it coming undone, so you'll have to bend the tab back with a small screwdriver and a small hammer.

Otherwise you'll find it impossible to remove the nut!!!!

Leave the chain in places until you've loosened the front sprocket nut, as you can lock the drive in gear to stop the sprocket spinning round.
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-09, 09:42 PM   #113
petevtwin650

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyjo View Post
Ok it's stupid question time again folks, please forgive me!!!!

Im replacing the chain and sprockets next week

Sorry if you already know it KJ, but the chain will need riveting unless you are taking the swingarm out too.
Old 25-10-09, 09:48 PM   #114
petevtwin650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_C View Post
My riding is a lot different to whenever I was last on a rideout. I ridewithin my means, but I'm also a lot better now
If we all rode within our means, how boring..............and slow.............. would that be.

Seems like far more than 2 years, Sean. Bet you shave now and everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by davy View Post
Near Peterborough here, have been on ride-outs last year, but was made redundant at xmas and just about getting back to noraml here now, so bike is having money spent on her again..lol
Davy! Been a while. Sorry things have been cr@p for you
Old 25-10-09, 10:05 PM   #115
kellyjo

Thanks for the advice guys but i already knew all that cos ive been having some early nights with mr. Haynes and his famous manual

Im actually going to be doing the job at my bike maintenance course session at Stamford College but i dont trust them to have everything i need which is why i wanted to have a look first!!
Id already decided to buy a new lock washer just in case the old one wasnt re-useable and ive checked theyve got the tool needed for the rivets, and i was going to take my own 32mm socket and torque wrench just in case they dont have them.

I actually practised it last week on their fireblade (s'alright, no ones gonna be riding it ) but seeing as im going to be 30 miles from home and have only 2 hours to do it i need to make sure i can get it all done cos otherwise i wont be able to get home again!!
Luckily there are two very experienced mechanics tutors to help Im having such a ball though im really tempted to do the full time course next year, and its really great that they're happy to let us work on our own bikes, its just a shame its only a 6 week course!!
Old 25-10-09, 10:19 PM   #116
Sean_C

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevtwin650 View Post
If we all rode within our means, how boring..............and slow.............. would that be.

Seems like far more than 2 years, Sean. Bet you shave now and everything
I said I ride with my means, not that I don't ride fast SV still gets its neck wrung...
Old 25-10-09, 10:38 PM   #117
petevtwin650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_C View Post
I said I ride with my means, not that I don't ride fast SV still gets its neck wrung...
I was more refering to my means, Sean.
Old 26-10-09, 06:42 AM   #118
Sean_C

Still very modest then Pete!
Old 12-11-09, 10:15 AM   #119
Skip
Mega Poster

Not much that's mega about our megathread!

Just to type something out - my poor bike hasn't been ridden in about 2 weeks and still has the last 2 months worth of muck on it - poor thing.

I would bring it to work but its been cold and damp on the roads and the lure of the cage is too strong! (Its not like I have a nice route to enjoy anyway - and its no quicker)

Just rambling on anyway...
Old 12-11-09, 12:27 PM   #120
petevtwin650

As you saw, we were out both days last weekend. Bonus. New tyres tomorrow. Another set of PR2s.

So how come you haven't cleaned your new toy? I can understand not riding it, but no excuses young man!