SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-02-17, 08:41 AM   #21
Blapper

Default Re: Anyonen had a stuck oil filter recently?

Quote:
Originally Posted by daktulos View Post
Mine was stuck solid - I broke a jar lid opener trying to unscrew it - but then, it hadn't been changed in 15 years. I bought a K&N replacement, which just needs a spanner to undo if it's stuck.
The one on sl0th's bike would have torn that spot welded nut clean off. What with that and the ridiculously (2000Nm) tight front sprocket nut, it is clearly the work of a cretinous mekanik.
Blapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-17, 08:50 AM   #22
daktulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blapper View Post
The one on sl0th's bike would have torn that spot welded nut clean off. What with that and the ridiculously (2000Nm) tight front sprocket nut, it is clearly the work of a cretinous mekanik.
Quite possibly - frustratingly, I bought the replacement in advance and then still had to buy a filter wrench to get the old one off, so could have bought a standard one.
daktulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-17, 08:57 AM   #23
Blapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by daktulos View Post
Quite possibly - frustratingly, I bought the replacement in advance and then still had to buy a filter wrench to get the old one off, so could have bought a standard one.
Argh! Typical.
Old 17-02-17, 09:36 AM   #24
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

With ,"Spin-on" oil filters they usually recommend smearing some clean engine oil on the rubber seal.If this isn't done they can become more difficult to remove as the seal can dry out and bond to the metal.

HTH
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-17, 10:50 AM   #25
yokohama

I need to replace mine before I start riding again this year. When I changed it last year, I'd tightened the previous one up by hand only and smeared oil on the seal but still needed an adjustable wrench around the base to get it off. The constant heat and expansion/contraction of the metals must contribute in some way to making them more difficult to remove.
yokohama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-17, 11:18 AM   #26
Blapper

They all get tighter as time passes due to heat/cold and the smear of oil being squeezed out I suppose but with the short oil change interval of the SV this shouldn't happen. Mine only required light pressure on a socket ratchet handle to remove it.
Old 17-02-17, 01:56 PM   #27
Red Herring
Mega Poster

I only tighten mine by hand (and even then not very tight) and I then have a large jubilee clip that slips over the filter and gets tightened up. The jubilee clip is wired to the bike. This effectively prevents the filter from rotating and coming undone. Rarely have to use anything other than my hand to remove them come service time.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-17, 03:29 PM   #28
Blapper

I turn until the oiled rubber touches up to the mating face then give 1/4 turn. You and I will not have a problem I'm sure.
Old 20-02-17, 06:24 PM   #29
Toooldtodie

I have subscribed to Delboy's Garage on YouTube and he uses the term "gorilla it" for over-tightening which is apt.
Your situation is odd as we all want to make our lives easier so I guess gorilla tightening did not happen, but think of every job you do, corrosion is the SV's thread-lock on everything you need to loosen!! Considering the oil filter gets all the shiz picked up by the front tyre that could explain it.
Old 21-02-17, 07:54 AM   #30
Fen Tiger

If you do the filter up with bare hand it should come undone ok with a rubber gloved hand. That was my technique for years without a problem. As Suzuki provide a tightening torque figure for the SV filter I do it up to that figure with a filter socket and trusted torque wrench. Seems tighter than I would normally have gone to with my hand but still comes off fine. Unless you know your wrench is calibrated, better to do up by hand I reckon.
Fen Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote