SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 28-09-17, 07:57 PM   #1
HanksW7

Default Weekend Ride Out

Where's the best place to find or organise a weekend ride out from London. Haven't done more than 60/70 miles in a day since I got my bike and I'm keen to go a bit further afield on a Saturday, and come back on Sunday.

Preferably starting in or around London. My mates keep delaying getting bikes and I'd rather some company!

Any advice from people who have been in my position would be appreciated.
HanksW7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-17, 08:50 PM   #2
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Default Re: Weekend Ride Out

An overnight makes it a bit more tricky to organise when folks have other commitments. You can get a long way in a day so pick which coast to head for, which bit of the Peak District, etc. and tell us all where you plan to be and when. Hopefully someone will be free to tag along. If you can post your intended route some folks may be able to join you for a section.
Old 28-09-17, 08:55 PM   #3
Mega Poster

I've struggled with this, I've virtually binned biking at the weekends off as I got so bored just pootling up to Ryka's. Much more fun with someone else (as long as they're not going at a snails pace!)

I could do a long ride out on Saturday but I can't do an overnight effort. I'd like to go the following route (hope this works)

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/Lo...52!2m1!1b1!3e0

Taking breaks, we're talking 10 hours of riding, really.
Old 02-10-17, 02:39 PM   #4
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 650 View Post
I'd like to go the following route (hope this works)

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/Lo...52!2m1!1b1!3e0

Taking breaks, we're talking 10 hours of riding, really.
You've got to be kidding....! I'd take that route if I was driving an arctic but on a bike? I do appreciate our tastes may differ but surely something with a few more twists and turns in would be more fun. Modern Sat Navs make it so much easier these days to get off the main roads and into the countryside on bikes. I've just got back from the Aragon Moto GP, we did 970 miles getting down there, and according to my mate 3.8 of those was on a dual carriageway!
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-17, 07:51 AM   #5
Mega Poster

Wish I had you closer babe x
Old 04-10-17, 11:43 AM   #6
HanksW7

Sorry for not replying, this thread was moved so wasn't getting any notifications. So I'm planning to do about 100 miles this weekend, and downloaded a pretty cool app called "Scenic". Has loads of curvy type routes which are rated and that you can actually navigate during. The route that's kind of my way starts at Cliveden House and goes round towards ascot. I've tried to attach a photo but essentially will be starting from Cliveden House at 11am. I'm starting from Ealing so will make my way up the M40 and then hopefully it will get more interesting.

Last edited by HanksW7; 04-10-17 at 11:47 AM.
HanksW7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-17, 12:36 PM   #7
Mega Poster

Yeah, Scenic is decent. Can't be used online - hence doing the general route with Google maps above (take note, Herring, not everything is as black and white as it seems!).

I find having a general destination in mind (say, Hastings) is good...then you can make a note of towns on the way and just follow your nose. Intuition kicks in and you'll find your way, often discovering roads you'd otherwise never bother with.

I can recommend the Surrey Hills, great roads (can be a bit busy, but where isn't down south?) and lots of nice pubs to stop off at. I couldn't do this weekend even if I were invited, got an open day with the step daughter and then going to see Blade Runner at the iMax in the evening. Keep me in mind though as I'm always up for a scoot out
Old 04-10-17, 05:10 PM   #8
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 650 View Post
Yeah, Scenic is decent. Can't be used online - hence doing the general route with Google maps above (take note, Herring, not everything is as black and white as it seems!).

I find having a general destination in mind (say, Hastings) is good...)
Agree, just put in the destination and then depending on your particular sat nav you can set it up to tune the route. Mine's one of those cheapies off Ebay which pretty much only allows me to block what it calls "Highways" (which in practice turns out to be Motorways and some significant dual carriageways) and toll roads and that worked pretty well on the continent, but my mate has got the full monty BMW gear and that was actually too good, especially if you selected the "twisty" option because it took you on the most torturous route possible......... In the end we settled on a compromise between the two!
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-17, 07:41 PM   #9
Mega Poster

Yeah, it can definitely be too much. I prefer long sweepy roads rather than daft little tight and twisty bits with blind corners and (inevitably) tractors, gravel, idiots and cattle bobbing about!