SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 06-04-05, 08:12 PM   #31
Red ones
Mega Poster

Like Couerdelion I too have an Art can. I could be picky and say, "What if I grind the 'Not for Road Use' off?"

I'm not too fussed about having a standard sized plate, it's on a curvy and doesn't look like a sail. But I love my Art and take the view that as long as I don't act the tw@ I shouldn't get pulled. That philosophy has largely worked in a car (except for Gatso's) - When I have been pulled in a car I have got away with whatever I was doing - the worst being a producer following speeding - thankfully they didn't try sticking a speed on me (I was tanking it on a B road at the time, they dropped their argument when I explained I was driving a diesel Austin Maestro, I somehow forgot to tell them about the rather aggressive turbo on the Perkins engine! It was my Dad's car - he laughed when he found out - I think he was a little proud of me!)
Similarly I don't open the throttle too much in built up areas as that is asking for trouble. Get your road positioning right, show that you understand hazard perception and that you respect other users and local inhabitants and you seem to be unnoticed, or better still left alone. (I think the latter is better as it highlights that some of us are sensible and think as we ride)
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-05, 10:25 PM   #32
Jp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red ones
Like Couerdelion I too have an Art can. I could be picky and say, "What if I grind the 'Not for Road Use' off?"

I'm not too fussed about having a standard sized plate, it's on a curvy and doesn't look like a sail. But I love my Art and take the view that as long as I don't act the tw@ I shouldn't get pulled.
Totally agree with that, my can is illegal too, but i dont ride like a loony in the city, nice high gear to save on fuel.

If a police car rolls by, clutch in throttle off

Quick question for fraser, my visor is illegal, police folk dont seem to mind to mind it, but just incase, what if my visor is up?

Is it still illegal to have a tinted visor but not using it?
Old 06-04-05, 10:58 PM   #33
embee
Mega Poster

Fraser
perhaps you could just run us through the fiasco regarding plain visors up/down used with sunglasses, prescription plain specs, prescription tinted specs, prescription sunglasses, prescription reacto-lite specs etc.

OK, OK, a bit of a wind up, but seriously, I've been searching for chapter and verse but can't find it written anywhere.

I do indeed wear prescription plain, tinted, full sunglass and reactions specs.
embee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-05, 11:11 PM   #34
Warren

ive been thinking ?
shouldnt we have a section alongside biking issues called "fraisers corner" ? our resident policeman answers all your questions ?
Old 07-04-05, 12:04 AM   #35
hall13uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikageboy
ive been thinking ?
shouldnt we have a section alongside biking issues called "fraisers corner" ? our resident policeman answers all your questions ?
thats a good idea
now he will never get a rest from work again (evil laugh)
Old 08-04-05, 11:41 AM   #36
Ceri JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by "hall13uk
He can always claim being here is work, good PR and all that.
Old 08-04-05, 11:43 AM   #37
wyrdness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC
Quote:
Originally Posted by hall13uk
I guess that it could be considered as community policing.
Old 08-04-05, 03:19 PM   #38
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyrdness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC
Quote:
Originally Posted by hall13uk
I guess that it could be considered as community policing.
And maybe even worth a bit of overtime?

I agree that we should have a Legal Questions section tho.

I'm sure Fraser has better things to do than answer the same old questions over and over and over and over again. Most new riders/ site users are often asking the same questions...especially as the SV seems to be such a natural choice for those on their first big bike or those returning to biking.

I know my plate is smaller than it should be, but only very slightly. The cans legal when the baffle is in and i use the film inserts in my visors so i hope to be just onthe right side of the law if i get stopped.

I filtered down Muswell Hill the other day...over s olid white line cos there are roadworks at the bottom of the hill.... saw a marked car ahead and acted as if i was on my test (best behaiour / best riding) as i pulled up behind them. He waved me past....as if to say 'its ok...cross the solid white...i can see you are being sensible.'
result...gave him a as i passed

Thank god for the likes of Fraser.... i really appreciate having a frienly knowledgeable ear on this forum to keep us all from breaking laws unknowingly. Nice one <doffs cap appreciatevly>
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-05, 08:17 PM   #39
legin

What are the implications of this then?

Take one race can stamped "not for road use" - Akrapovic for example, drill out the pop rivets in the end band. Reverse band inside out, use etching kit to etch on BS number, polish up and re rivet - good as new!!
Old 08-04-05, 10:30 PM   #40
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Under the new zero tolerance of anything some politician can get publicity out of rules you gotta be looking at 5 years hard labour for that
Biker Biggles is offline   Reply With Quote