SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 05-12-07, 12:21 AM   #1
Heed

Default Track Bike

My SV is now not being used much after a big drop in April. It's road legal again but I'm enjoying the Ducati more so the SV is destined to be a track bike only. It's a 2000 curvy. I'm not after more power just sensible stuff to do to it for on the track. She'll be getting new sticky tyres and has just been serviced.

Any ideas massively appreciated.
Old 05-12-07, 09:33 AM   #2
Ter

Default Re: Track Bike

Well how bad was the drop?

If you have any road legal parts you should sell them to put monies towards your

- bodykit
- suspension

I reckon thats all you'd need to get the SV confident around the track,

After that you can trick it if you want with fancy rearsets, exhaust, race clocks, etc

But I reckon the suspension and bodywork is all you need - you might want to do a major service (like check valve clearances and cam chain etc) before you thrash it!!

I'm doing the same thing but with a GSXR600,

Enjoy!!
Old 05-12-07, 10:56 AM   #3
drefraser

Pointy cams, ignition advancer, reworked front forks and a new rear shock would be my thoughts.
Oh, and a very big SV sticker so that people you've passed on Gixxers don't have to come up to you at the end of the session and say "What the f**k's that?"
Old 05-12-07, 12:11 PM   #4
charlie13

Suspension mod's and sticky tyres are your top two, i'd also go for a throttle tube off an '03/'04 R6 for a quicker action. It'll cost about £8 for a genuine part from a Yamaha dealer, stock code 5SL-26240-01-00. It's a straight swap with the curvy SV item and will save your right wrist from a battering (search threads for "quick action throttle"). After that it just depends how much time you want to spend changing it and how much you want to spend. It'll be cheaper in the long run if you can use as many stock items as possible as they'll be cheaper to replace with secondhand items if you ever have the misfortune to have an off. You could also try asking the minitwins lot on http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/minitwins/ for ideas. The racers would probably have some suggestions for suitable pattern race fairings and suchlike.

Last edited by charlie13; 05-12-07 at 12:14 PM.
Old 05-12-07, 12:50 PM   #5
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by drefraser View Post
Pointy cams, ignition advancer ..
Total waste of money*!!!

Just spend the money on the suspension, performance Friction 95 compound brake pads and proper track rubber! ... oh and some race clipons so you can bully the bike around more and some R&Gs for when you couldn't bully it enough!!

*purely a luxury, big money/hassle and minimal gains!
Old 05-12-07, 01:02 PM   #6
Heed

It was a fast drop (65mph) but the bike faired pretty well. I'm not that bothered about bodywork at the minute as the stuff on there was fixable with a little plastic welding. It looks beaten up but I'm not worried about that.

I don't want to spend a fortune on the bike as if I was after spending big money I could just go and buy a GSXR600. I'll be going for decent tyres and after the advice here a bit of a play with the suspension. I'm not going to the hassle of fitting a GSXR front end so what's the best value for money suspension mods? I'll be doing all the work myself with a helpful mate so labour costs aren't an issue but parts are.

I'll also go for some crash bungs as I will no doubt drop it at some point.
Old 05-12-07, 01:56 PM   #7
Blue_SV650S

How 'fast' are you?
Old 05-12-07, 03:30 PM   #8
Heed

I honestly have no idea on a track. I've not done a track day but the Suzuki isn't being used at the moment and I don't want to bin the Ducati if I can help it. I won't be spending much at first until I see how good I am and if it's better to buy a different bike for trackdays. Riding fast on the road is getting too dangerous really so this is a way to get an adrenaline fix without putting myself in too much danger.
Old 05-12-07, 03:34 PM   #9
Ter

I think the cheapest suspension mod for the SV is an oil change,

following that its probably a a spring change,

Don't know what comes next I went GSXR.

I think Hagon do progressive springs?

A search should help you out with a few tried and tested answers!

Old 05-12-07, 03:47 PM   #10
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heed View Post
I honestly have no idea on a track. I've not done a track day but the Suzuki isn't being used at the moment and I don't want to bin the Ducati if I can help it. I won't be spending much at first until I see how good I am and if it's better to buy a different bike for trackdays. Riding fast on the road is getting too dangerous really so this is a way to get an adrenaline fix without putting myself in too much danger.
In that case, don’t do anything to it!!

Get on the thing and ride it!! .. You will soon know what is holding you back as it will start grinding out, wobbling, falling off or whatever!!!!

If you are a total noob, chances are that a bog-stock bike that is mechanically sound is ample