SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 31-08-17, 12:21 PM   #1
korre

Default 2006 SV650 - What immediate work needs doing?

Hi All,

Given you were all so useful in my last thread, I thought I would start a brand new one to ask for further advice.

I am picking up my first ever bike, a 2006 SV650S (bikini fairing) with 3000 miles on Saturday. I managed to find a mechanic who also does pick up and delivery to come with me to check the bike isn't a lemon for starters. The bike has been serviced twice, once at the 600 mile service and again in 2011 at 1800 miles. Since then no service/fluid change has been done, but the bike has only done a further 1200 miles. My question is what service work would you do immediately? My initial thoughts are:
- Break fluid change
- Coolant change
- Oil change
- Oil filter change
- Break pad change - I have been told these go hard and if 11 years old they will need changing. The guy I spoke to mentioned choosing gold pads and not green pads...doesn't mean anything to me.
- Tyres - whilst these likely have enough tread on them, they are the original from 2006 and I believe these expire. I will search the forums for best tyres.

I would like to say I'm doing this myself, but given there is so much to do in one go (plus whatever else you guys recommend) and I don't have a clue how to do any of it, I am thinking of getting it done properly by a local bike mechanic first so I can get riding ASAP! I can then use the winter to brush up my own mechanic skills.

I will probably buy the parts myself so I know what's been used in my bike, so if anyone could give guidance on preferred brands and the cost that would also be useful!

I promise that after this initial work I will do my best to become a novice bike mechanic. I am even stalking eBay/gumtree as we speak to find an abba stand seeing as you guys love them so much. I'm looking for one with the front arm swing so I can get both tyres off the floor over winter.

Any thoughts/guidance/recommendations/brands etc. would be more than welcomed.

Thank you all in advance!
Old 31-08-17, 01:25 PM   #2
Craig380
Mega Poster

Default Re: 2006 SV650 - What immediate work needs doing?

Definitely change all the fluids and filters so you've got a good baseline to start from.

You're right to change tyres too, these are often overlooked. I'm not sure if the brake pads will need changing.

In terms of brands, you'll get lots of opinions on that My preference is for genuine Suzuki oil filters, and any decent semi-synthetic motorcycle-specific oil. The Suzi dealer I bought my SV from uses Silkolene coolant (I asked them so I wasn't mixing brands).

Tyres: I like Avon Storms.

Enjoy the bike!
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-17, 01:37 PM   #3
DryRob

Getting used to the bike makes more sense than taking it apart, if you don't gel with it and decide to sell you won't get the money back you've spent and it won't add much to the value.
Just get your mechanic to make sure it's safe and ride it while there's some summer left, all that servicing can wait until the Winter (it is coming).

Just go easy, you'll be fine
DryRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-17, 01:47 PM   #4
andy650

Brake pads will be fine, I am running 28 year old front pads on my Gixxer and they are fine.

I would do the front tyre, but not the rear. However as a newbie you may want perfect tyres front and rear.

All fluids definitely.

Gold pads are probably sintered, with green being kevlar/organic. I would do sintered on the front and kevlar on the rear. But as already said, the ones you currently have will be fine (as long as lots of meat on them)
andy650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-17, 02:25 PM   #5
glang

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryRob View Post
Getting used to the bike makes more sense than taking it apart, if you don't gel with it and decide to sell you won't get the money back you've spent and it won't add much to the value.
Just get your mechanic to make sure it's safe and ride it while there's some summer left, all that servicing can wait until the Winter (it is coming).

Just go easy, you'll be fine
Im all for this idea. Have a close look at the tyres and take it easy until theyre scrubbed in again but leave everything else to the winter if youve decided its a keeper....
glang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-17, 03:06 PM   #6
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Lube the chain
Id definitely change the oil/filter then ride it to see if the tyres and brake pads are still ok.I assume you are not going to be really going for it any time soon.As said much of the rest can wait for a bit.
Old 31-08-17, 04:08 PM   #7
korre

Cheers guys, I like the idea of not doing anything till winter, just wasn't sure if anything was urgent.

I haven't viewed the bike yet, but been told the oil is clear, so perhaps not an urgent change either.

Can anyone recommend an idiots guide to SV650 maintenance? I have heard mixed reviews about Haynes due to it being black and white and hard to identify what it is talking about. Just wondered if there was anything else that tells me how to change break fluid, oil, coolant, brake pads etc. I must admit working on the brakes scares me, given they are quite important, might skip this as a novice mechanic and get them done properly all the time.
Old 31-08-17, 07:35 PM   #8
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

I'm with the,"Ride the Bike" guys and get a feel.Just do a routine check of all the fluids/tyres/brakes/Wheels and major nuts and bolts and electrics for now and as you are going to change the fluids anyway best to get used to procedures.

I've never had any problems using Haynes manuals and found then informative.All manuals have a few errors but not enough to write home about.

You can also never have enough info so go grab a .pdf manual from here,

http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78213

Also bookmark a Partsfiche as it also helps as a cross reference,

https://www.cmsnl.com/suzuki-sv650_model14123/
Old 01-09-17, 08:37 AM   #9
DryRob

None of the basic servicing is particularly difficult if you make sure you know what you're doing first, take your time with it and have the right tools.
Ask for help on here or join a local riders group (like the IAM/RoSPA) and you'll probably find someone reasonably experienced to help you out or keep an eye on you while you do it yourself.
As a last resort or if you want to go deeper, see if your local college offer motorcycle maintenance training.
DryRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-17, 09:57 AM   #10
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

I'm of the ride the bugger policy.
But would advise doing the fluids over time.
With it being 11 year old, the brakes will probably need a service and rebuild and possibly lines depending on where its been hidden

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote