SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 02-09-17, 03:04 PM   #1
secondtenor

Default headlamp bolts

I want to fit a small screen to my 2002 sv650. It fixes between the brackets and headlamp unit, but when I try to unscrew the nuts each side they just turn without withdrawing. What am I doing wrong?
Old 02-09-17, 04:36 PM   #2
Stilo

Default Re: headlamp bolts

Is there a nut that is turning?
Old 02-09-17, 06:05 PM   #3
SV650rules
Mega Poster

You will have to take headlamp reflector out and see what is on the inside of housing, sounds like you need to stop the other end turning.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-17, 08:31 AM   #4
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
You will have to take headlamp reflector out and see what is on the inside of housing, sounds like you need to stop the other end turning.
This is what I had to do when I fitted a PUIG screen(Fantastic for their size) to my Naked 1999 SV650 X.The nuts inside spin so have to be held.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Puig-Unive...0AAOSwidlZaHUR

Old 03-09-17, 09:26 AM   #5
secondtenor

Thanks for the replies, nuts must be turning,headlight out then! Nice to see what my screen will look like. Cheers
Old 03-09-17, 10:44 AM   #6
SV650rules
Mega Poster

The very annoying 'unexpected consequence' of fitting an MRA screen to my 2016 AL7 last year was a truly horrendous increase in wind noise in my previously quiet helmet (before screen was quite happy to ride with no earplugs) due to disturbed air being shoved up to helmet level - I chopped the upturned lip off the screen and noise was about 50% better, but still not back to pre-screen levels, ended up tilting the screen more horizontal, noise still not back to pre-screen levels though I can ride without plugs up to 60 mph or so. May take the screen back off.

The MRA screen uses the handlebar clamp to mount onto, they supply a couple of spacers and longer allen bolts - it is very secure and neat, but as I said found standard screen with upturned lip made helmet very noisy.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 03-09-17 at 01:53 PM.
Old 03-09-17, 01:46 PM   #7
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondtenor View Post
Thanks for the replies, nuts must be turning,headlight out then! Nice to see what my screen will look like. Cheers
For added security and so the my screen doesn't move at speed I drilled and used a couple of self-tappers.I recall I had to chop/hack-saw them down a bit otherwise they were too long and hit the headlight.They only had to stop the movement so didn't have to be that robust.

Aerodynamically the screens are great.Yes I get the kind of wind on my chest I would expect to a degree from a,"Sit-Up-And-Beg" position @ 70 Mph+VAT<grin> but I don't get buffeted from side to side.The bike really cuts through well

Also I only have to drop my position a little when it's really windy and the Airflow goes over the top of my lid damn good.

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 03-09-17 at 01:57 PM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-17, 02:02 PM   #8
SV650rules
Mega Poster

I found much more straight line buffeting with AGV helmet compared to Caberg Duke, also with the Caberg your head does not get pushed sideways when you turn head to look over shoulder.

Old 04-09-17, 03:50 PM   #9
secondtenor

Due to pick screen up Wednesday. Will let this forum know as to its efficiency when fitted. I suppose body height must make a difference. Will report back
Old 09-09-17, 04:36 PM   #10
secondtenor

Fitted the airblade urban fly screen , no idea what angle to set it but cannot be set too steep an angle as screen is stopped by the rev dial. Went out and rode at 70mph and found the ride worse due to pressure of air at neck level (I'm 5'71/2'') will need to adjust more upright but getting pretty vertical then any experiences welcome