SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Tyres Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on this subject.

Old 06-07-07, 07:05 PM   #1
pencil shavings

Default Tyre help for 1st tyre change!

I noticed that my rear is getting quite low on tread. The bikes done 7600miles and I think that the tyres havent been changed, they are dunlop 220s front and rear. The front is fine.

What should I try out as a rear? I commute to work about 11miles on back roads and I like to have fun when its dry but that wears well. Somthing that warms up quite quickly would be good because the rear seems to slip out quite a bit when its cold, maybe I just need to calm my wrist!

Im only looking to change the rear, i dont have money to burn! only rubber!!

Thanks for the advice!
Old 06-07-07, 07:29 PM   #2
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Default Re: Tyre help for 1st tyre change!

If you're doing things correctly and properly then you should fit another D220 rear and then when your front is dead then change to a pair of something else.

This is what most tyre places are going to tell you if you go to one for advice. We've been told by a tyre fitter we trust that Dunlop don't recommend you mix and match the D220 with other tyres even another Dunlop.

Now if it were me with a summer coming up, I'd be wanting to change the front as well. Whilst the D220 are'nt IMHO as bad as some people make them out to be, there are better tyres available.

You've got choices, if you want long life with grip then have a look at these

A set of Bridgestone 020's or the 021 that have replaced them
A set of Continental Road Attacks
A set of Michellin Pilot Road 2's

Or my peronal favourite a Set of Metzler Z6 Roadtec's or a set of Pirelli Diablo Strada's ( Same as the Z6, but with a different tread pattern )

Or if you want something grippier but at the cost of reduced life then I'd be looking at

A set of Michelin Pilot Power 2CT's
A set of pirelli Diablo Corsa III's

Depends how much you want to spend really.

TBH theres no bad modern tyre and any of the above will suit your needs I would think.

Not really a definitive answer, but tyres are a personal thing, pick a pair see how you get on, if you like them, ace, if not try something else.

If it were my cash, I'd be putting the Z6's on. Plenty of grip and give good life, and work well in the wet to.

HTH

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-07, 08:46 PM   #3
pencil shavings

thanks for the very good reply. Ive done a bit more reading and I think that the Metzler Z6 Roadtec's look like a good choice. How much would I be looking at for a ride in ride out 'coz I dont have many tools!??
Old 06-07-07, 09:41 PM   #4
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Last time I got a set it was £165, but I think prices have gone up since then so could be more than that now as it was a while ago.

Old 06-07-07, 09:54 PM   #5
hovis

Quote:
Originally Posted by pencil shavings View Post
thanks for the very good reply. Ive done a bit more reading and I think that the Metzler Z6 Roadtec's look like a good choice. How much would I be looking at for a ride in ride out 'coz I dont have many tools!??
depends where you go, busters m&p etc do good deals,(have a look on there website) but then you have to pay to get them fitted, phone around i would think you are looking at about £180 all in
i know a good cheap place (in south wales) i will be getting a pair of these next (i think) but im very happy with road attacks
so i will get a quote tomorrow
and post it

just got this off busters

Metzeler Roadtec Z6 120/70 ZR 18

Price: £85.99

Metzeler Roadtec Z6 160/60 ZR 18

Price: £106.99
+ postage then you have to get them fitted so you would be looking at £200+

Last edited by hovis; 06-07-07 at 10:31 PM.
Old 07-07-07, 11:43 AM   #6
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by hovis View Post
depends where you go, busters m&p etc do good deals,(have a look on there website) but then you have to pay to get them fitted, phone around i would think you are looking at about £180 all in
i know a good cheap place (in south wales) i will be getting a pair of these next (i think) but im very happy with road attacks
so i will get a quote tomorrow
and post it

Or ride in ride out at my "local" tyre shop, and pay them £212 without the fuss of transporting tyres, waiting for delivery, collecting from the post office because you weren't in when they were delivered, etc etc etc.

A pair of PR2s, £214. Not much in it.

Rears, you should be looking around £110-£120 ride in ride out.
Old 07-07-07, 12:01 PM   #7
hovis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph View Post

Rears, you should be looking around £110-£120 ride in ride out.
road attack ride in ride out £80
Old 07-07-07, 08:35 PM   #8
sinbad

I've been phoning a few places locally to see if I can some Z6s fitted for a decent price, but the cheapest I've been quoted is £210. Which I find quite hard to stomach, considering I can get the tyres to my door for £151 from http://www.motorbike-tyres.com/, (60 for front, 85 for rear, 6 p+p, inc. vat). I haven't found anywhere cheaper, although the ebay place comes close.

So on Monday I'll be finding out what it costs to get them fitted to loose wheels, although saying that (it's my first change), do they need the brake discs taking off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hovis

Those are odd sizes?

Last edited by sinbad; 07-07-07 at 08:39 PM.
Old 07-07-07, 09:10 PM   #9
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Sinbad, I suspect the loose wheels will be fine with the disc's on.

Hovis - he's right that 120 /70 is not the standard size for an SV front its 120 / 60 IIRC.

Old 07-07-07, 09:16 PM   #10
hovis

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad View Post
I can get the tyres to my door for £151 from http://www.motorbike-tyres.com/, (60 for front, 85 for rear, 6 p+p, inc. vat)

So on Monday I'll be finding out what it costs to get them fitted to loose wheels, although saying that (it's my first change), do they need the brake discs taking off?
?
that is cheap, i would guess £15 a wheel max, some places can be a bit funny, if you dont buy the tyres of them

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel View Post

Hovis - he's right that 120 /70 is not the standard size for an SV front its 120 / 60 IIRC.
i know but that was what was on the site?