SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 31-12-11, 07:00 PM   #1
musne

Default Removing the Silencer/muffler of a scorpion exhaust.

Hello all!

I have a quick question and hopefully a quick answer too...

Apart from the better noise that it makes, does removing the silencer/muffler cause any problems or have bad side effects?

I've got an SV650S 08 year with a Scorpion exhaust.
Old 31-12-11, 07:08 PM   #2
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Default Re: Removing the Silencer/muffler of a scorpion exhaust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by musne View Post
Hello all!

I have a quick question and hopefully a quick answer too...

Apart from the better noise that it makes, does removing the silencer/muffler cause any problems or have bad side effects?

I've got an SV650S 08 year with a Scorpion exhaust.
Only bad side effects are you may fall out with your neighbours and the fines if pulled by the police.

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-11, 07:58 PM   #3
SV Mad

I've got one and got so used to the baffle out, when it was put back in for the winter (so as not to annoy the neighbours all year) I only lasted a week before I was bored of the muffled sound and pulled it out again.
Old 31-12-11, 08:31 PM   #4
musne

Haha, alright thanks guys. It was worth a check!

I can't believe how quiet a 650cc motorbike can sound with a silencer on! :O Sounds beastly without it though

Old 01-01-12, 12:40 PM   #5
MJC-DEV

I've got a Scorpion with universal baffle and found that low speed was slightly smoother with no baffle but too loud for everyday use. So I've modified the baffle by cutting off the end plate. This seems to be the best of both worlds with noise above half way between the two extremes and baffle less like low revs performance (admittedly, this could be my imagination but don't think so!)
MJC-DEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-12, 06:28 PM   #6
Specialone

Quote:
Originally Posted by musne View Post
Haha, alright thanks guys. It was worth a check!

I can't believe how quiet a 650cc motorbike can sound with a silencer on! :O Sounds beastly without it though

Have I misunderstood you?

Are you on about taking the whole end can off or just removing the small baffle out the end?

I had a scorpion on mine and sounded awesome, was quieter with baffle in but still sweeter than the mortar launcher that Suzuki fitted.
Old 01-01-12, 06:41 PM   #7
musne

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialone View Post
Have I misunderstood you?

Are you on about taking the whole end can off or just removing the small baffle out the end?

I had a scorpion on mine and sounded awesome, was quieter with baffle in but still sweeter than the mortar launcher that Suzuki fitted.
No no, I'm just talking about the piece that you pull out of the tip of the exhaust!

I was just exaggerating how quiet it is with the silencer on, but that was because I was so surprised to hear how loud it was without!
Old 01-01-12, 06:48 PM   #8
Specialone

Phew that's a relief lol.

I had my baffle in for all of ten minutes, I rode everywhere with it out, I carried it with me under the seat, you could say if pulled you were just trying it out.

Just be sensible, don't get giving the full beans in towns and by people's houses etc, plenty of people run cans without baffles.

I was in a petrol station yesterday and a Harley started up with no cans on at all and was at least double the noise of a scorpion can, how they get away with I'll never know.
Old 17-01-12, 07:22 PM   #9
Urbanfireblade

Performance note.
I had a scorpion can on my Suzuki Bandit 1200, fettled the removeable baffle immensly by welding a dome on the front of the perforated tube to distribute air around it instead of the flat end that the air hits like a brick wall! And also added more holes and re-welded the bracket at a different angle(that the M6 bolt that holds it in the exhaust screws into) so the baffle when fitted in the end can sat dead central in the pipe(look in yours when its off and it'll be ****ed/off-centre!). Even after all that modifying, flat out runs from 60-130+mph, there was no difference in acceleration with it in or out. Tho in first and second gear it wheelied easier so i guess it let the engine rev quicker/easier.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo 001.jpg (125.0 KB, 0 views)