SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 28-09-10, 05:02 PM   #1
danf1234

Default Infamous stalling problems have returned

Well, I thought I had solved my bikes stalling issue, by removing the TRE and gear indicator, and the problem returned while I was out at the weekend.

Exactly the same problem as before rolling off the throttle coming up to a roundabout / Junction and the throttle begins to drop just below 850 rpm. Sometimes it will hesitate and keep running, as the revs slowly creep back up to 1400. Sometimes it fails and cuts out. It starts immediately after pressing the ignition button again.

The problem I have is the fault is so intermittant it didn't do it when I had it in for its first service last week.

It is doing my head in now, because I am always expecting it to do when pulling up to a junction, and now I am hesitating rather than progressing.

The bike is a 2010 model L0, and I really wouldn't expect this.

Anyway tomorrow it is going back to York Suzuki and I have told them I don't want it back until it is sorted. I have filled the tank with petrol so they can ride the fookin thing until it faults at my expense.

Suerly it couldn't be something as simple as a spark plug could it? I am at my wits end now so its bye bye SV for a bit.
Old 28-09-10, 10:42 PM   #2
hongman

Default Re: Infamous stalling problems have returned

Bad luck...keep us posted on what the dealers tell you.

Neither here nor there now but I'm guessing it idles ok?
Old 28-09-10, 11:07 PM   #3
Sly

That's what my K5 was doing. Grease around front HT, new plugs, throttle body balancing + TPS adjustment fixed it for me (but can't say which of the above made the crucial difference). How many miles have you done on your 2010 bike? The first throttle body balancing +TPS adjustment should be quite early in the service schedule I think as there is some initial bedding down, from what i've read.

Good luck with it.

Last edited by Sly; 28-09-10 at 11:09 PM.
Old 29-09-10, 07:04 AM   #4
danf1234

Done 700 miles. It's just had its first service late. Are you symptoms exactly the same as this i.e cutting out at low revs when approaching a stop?

I am gussing grease is to waterproof it so that won't make much difference. So if my symptoms and cause are same as yours it's either new plugs or throttle body balancing, or the TPS?

Last edited by danf1234; 29-09-10 at 08:42 AM.
Old 29-09-10, 08:47 AM   #5
danf1234

Well it has gone back to York Suzuki today and they have agreed to give to bike a once over. It's such a nightmare to diagnose, because I can't make it do the fault and it is so intermittant.

Hopefully they can get it sorted either way as it is doing my nut in.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that I can get this sorted quickly cos the bike is faultless especially now it has the handle bar mod done to it.

Failing that I quite like the lok of the new V-Strom they have in the window lol!
Old 29-09-10, 10:01 AM   #6
warrenhewitt10

TPS
Old 29-09-10, 10:19 AM   #7
danf1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenhewitt10 View Post
TPS
Care to expand?
Old 29-09-10, 11:09 AM   #8
warrenhewitt10

certainly, Mine has done this only twice in 2.5 years, but its exactly as you describe, only mine did it after going very hard on it.

However I have another mate on here renman8957, his quite frequently doesnt idle and randomly cuts out when the revs drop. Usually he would just turn it off and on again and it would be ok for another while.

This first time mine did it i noticed it was idling a good 300rpm below normal, so it was just about idling. Then it cut out and wouldnt start again for about 15mins after this. But yes the problem appears to randomly come and go. Id take it back to the dealer and say this to them, I would have done this but the bike was out of warranty when it did it the first time and it was like £60 i think for a new one. I can live with it if it only does it 2 times in over 2 years for a bike that is used every day.

Both of our bikes are k3's however, you'd have thought suzuki would have sorted it by now. Is quite common on sv's according to my dealer....
Old 29-09-10, 11:23 AM   #9
danf1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenhewitt10 View Post
certainly, Mine has done this only twice in 2.5 years, but its exactly as you describe, only mine did it after going very hard on it.

However I have another mate on here renman8957, his quite frequently doesnt idle and randomly cuts out when the revs drop. Usually he would just turn it off and on again and it would be ok for another while.

This first time mine did it i noticed it was idling a good 300rpm below normal, so it was just about idling. Then it cut out and wouldnt start again for about 15mins after this. But yes the problem appears to randomly come and go. Id take it back to the dealer and say this to them, I would have done this but the bike was out of warranty when it did it the first time and it was like £60 i think for a new one. I can live with it if it only does it 2 times in over 2 years for a bike that is used every day.

Both of our bikes are k3's however, you'd have thought suzuki would have sorted it by now. Is quite common on sv's according to my dealer....

Mine sounds more like your friends fault, as mine will start again instantly everytime, infact most times it will restart while the wheels are still rolling. Never have I had the issue where it won't restart after.

So my next question is: Has he sorted his bike out, and if so how!
Old 29-09-10, 11:37 AM   #10
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Was it very cold out when it started to stall? Sure it's not just carb icing?? Have you tried the high octane fuel and/or ProFST additive route that a lot of people find very effective???