SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 29-01-14, 10:48 PM   #1
fchat63

Default Curvy fuel sensor rubber seal?

Hi all,
I've just swapped my tank over to one I got off ebay because of the dreaded drain tube rust and the fuel sensor has a rubber O ring which looks worn out. Checking the good old Haynes manual there's no mention of the O ring.
Can anybody let me know if I need to replace it or as the Haynes manual says just seal the threads of the sensor unit and what type of sealer would I use.
And if anyone knows of a reliable repair for the rusted tube I would love to know!
it's a year 2000 sv650sy.
Thanks everybody.
Old 30-01-14, 12:46 AM   #2
Alexander94

Default Re: Curvy Fuel Sensor Rubber Seal

Hi, I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination but I did replace my fuel sensor and O-ring very recently, I'd probably suggest that you replace the O-ring if you can find one easily and cheaply (just go to any plumbing shop, they should have something that'll fit)
I'd trust a new O-ring more than i would trust some sealant on the thread, seeing as you run the risk of some sealant getting inside the tank and maybe clogging up the fuel line (unlikely, I know but better safe than sorry) or missing a bit and ending up with a fuel leak.

That's just my opinion though, I don't think there's a right or wrong answer to this really
Old 30-01-14, 04:11 PM   #3
embee
Mega Poster

Default Re: Curvy fuel sensor rubber seal?

Just a word of caution, rubbers used for water systems (and coolant) are not usually suitable for fuel/oil. Plumbing type O-rings will usually be EPDM.

Coolant/water/brake fluid seals are usually EPDM, fuel systems might be Nitrile or quite possibly Viton (trade names for NBR or FKM/FPM fluorocarbon respectively). Choice of materials discussed quite well at http://www.polymax.co.uk/o-rings/

A lot of online bearing stockists also supply O-rings, most commonly in Nitrile NBR. This is often OK with fuels, though they can tend to swell. If in doubt use Viton with petrol.

Low pressure threaded fuel applications can often be sealed with PTFE tape, the tape itself is fine with fuel. Make sure bits of tape don't get into the fuel system though.

Hoses are a similar situation, coolant hoses are usually lined with EPDM although the outer sheath might well be a different rubber for better ambient protection. Not suitable for oil/fuel.
Old 30-01-14, 05:07 PM   #4
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

If your going to use PTFE tape look at using this product (most plumbers merchants sell it) http://www.loctite55.co.uk/

It far more robust than PTFE tape and is not as prone to shredding. Its application is for steel threaded pipework where hemp and paste is the traditional method

My curvy tank is a mechanical seal on the sensor as it needed set of plumbers shifters to wind it out

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi

Last edited by andrewsmith; 30-01-14 at 05:08 PM.
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-14, 10:08 PM   #5
fchat63

Thanks everybody,
Cracking advice, I'll be on that the next time the rain stops.
Old 02-02-14, 09:03 PM   #6
fchat63

Right then,
Tank off, on it's side {only had a small amount of petrol in} and sensor out.
Went to see my mate who happened to have an O ring suitable for petrol and 'borrowed' 2 feet of Loctite 55 from my neighbour, sensor back in and jobs a good un!!!!
No leaks from the sensor and I took the opportunity to put a separate drain tube for both cooling system and tank, getting ride of the T piece which seemed to be the cause of the tank drain tube kinking, backing up the water and rusting the tube out.
Also talked to another friend who reckons the original tank can be repaired.
I'll give it a go and if it works let you all know.
Happy Days!!