SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 22-02-08, 05:09 PM   #1
monkey

Question Balancing spots on new bike tyres. Where to they go in relation to the valve?

Got two spots on my new tyres which I'm fitting myself. Does anyone definately know where the spots should go in relation to the valve? Are the spots where the tyre is heaviest?
Old 22-02-08, 05:14 PM   #2
jambo
Mega Poster

Default Re: Balancing spots on new bike tyres. Where to they go in relation to the valve?

The nice dot should go directly by the valve, as in you can't get it any closer.

Jambo
Old 22-02-08, 05:18 PM   #3
monkey

Default Re: Balancing spots on new bike tyres. Where to they go in relation to the valve?

But I've got two! Which do I choose?! They are nice though. Bit nicer on the front than the rear. So that means the weights should go directly opposite ya as the valve and spotted area is the heaviest part of the wheel?
Old 22-02-08, 07:47 PM   #4
Flamin_Squirrel

I've used plenty of part worn tyres where I couldn't even see the yellow spot and I've never had to put too much weight on.

Don't worry about it.
Old 22-02-08, 10:39 PM   #5
muffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by teriyakimonkey View Post
But I've got two! Which do I choose?! They are nice though. Bit nicer on the front than the rear. So that means the weights should go directly opposite ya as the valve and spotted area is the heaviest part of the wheel?
Aren't you meant to actually balance the wheel, i.e. check where it needs it and put them on there? As opposed to putting the weights where you think they should go? I don't think it's too hard to do, from the guides I've seen.
Old 23-02-08, 01:38 PM   #6
maultin

you might also find the word 'DOT' on the tyre. thats in place of a coloured dot
Old 23-02-08, 04:03 PM   #7
flymo
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by maultin View Post
you might also find the word 'DOT' on the tyre. thats in place of a coloured dot
Are you sure about that , I think it might well refer to 'Department of Transport' approved for road use.
flymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-08, 08:03 PM   #8
maultin

i fitted new tyres last sunday - the 'DOT' is exactly lined up with the valve.
the guy i fitted them with races & he always uses that as a reference
Old 24-02-08, 12:37 AM   #9
monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffles View Post
Aren't you meant to actually balance the wheel, i.e. check where it needs it and put them on there? As opposed to putting the weights where you think they should go? I don't think it's too hard to do, from the guides I've seen.
I'm going to balance it but the dot means something and I couldn't remember where it needs to go. I'm just assuming the weights will go opposite the valve but I will balance it properly.
Old 24-02-08, 12:39 AM   #10
monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by flymo_racer View Post
Are you sure about that , I think it might well refer to 'Department of Transport' approved for road use.
That's an American standard isn't it?