SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 25-02-22, 02:04 PM   #391
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Default Re: Electric Vehicles

When low carbon electricity is used, the life time emissions of an EV are less than half that of the ICE version. As UK electricity has a lower carbon footprint than the EU average, EV emissions are much lower over its lifetime.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-22, 06:53 PM   #392
embee
Mega Poster

You have to be careful selecting which method of electricity generation you assume for powering the vehicles.
I've seen figures using the UK "average" CO2 output for electricity generation, somewhere round 250gCO2eq/kWh seems to be used.
However this implies that additional or marginal demand will be at this rate, whereas any marginal additional demand will come from gas (assuming all green/zero power is used in base load).
When you plug your car in to charge, they don't go and start up another wind turbine, they turn up the gas in a power station. Gas fired power stations run at around 550gCO2eq/kWh, or getting on for 2.5 times the average. The average is also only as low as it is because we import nuclear electricity from the continent, and the worst offender is burning wood pellets (Drax) which are shipped from north America and are counted as zero CO2 for the UK, whereas it is actually worse CO2 emissions than coal (a fiddle).
I have nothing against EVs, great solution for the right situation, but be wary of propagandist statistics.
Old 25-02-22, 09:57 PM   #393
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by embee View Post
UK[/B][/I],
I have nothing against EVs, great solution for the right situation, but be wary of propagandist statistics.
Quite right .
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-22, 09:42 AM   #394
Bibio
Mega Poster

when is the deadline for no more fuel cars?
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-22, 05:22 PM   #395
DJ123
Mega Poster

currently it is 2030 (UK) but Germany & Italy are both pushing to extend this if ICE can run on Synthetic fuels, and massively reduce emissions by 70-90%.

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-22, 11:56 AM   #396
Bibio
Mega Poster

looks like the big burger place is ahead of everyone. most are planned for charging point installation. looking at charge point maps is how i feared this would cause a trend, most are either ta retail parks, pay to park car parks or eatery's. so slow charge and the urge to spend money seems widespread. i thought we were supposed to be saving the planet not buying more tat or getting fat. the pay at car parks is just taking the pizz.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-22, 12:17 PM   #397
DJ123
Mega Poster

Or maybe they being installed there as it's places people spend at least an hour. Which is enough time to get some decent charge in a battery.

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-22, 12:24 PM   #398
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Horses for courses. It works for McD's to have rapid charges at their drive throughs. Some folks like to get McD's and being able to get a charge is a bonus. It just happens that the time to scoff a burger is about the time needed to get a decent charge. win-win. 7kW chargers at shopping centres makes sense, no one is going to go there for a charge at those speeds, but its useful to get a charge while doing something else - it means no worries about using the car all weekend. Similar with pay to park car parks, I'll go to one if I need to and if there is a charger I may make use of it depending on my state of charge, cost of charge, how long I'm staying etc.

For long trips, it is still rapid chargers by the roadside, at services that people want and need. This is where public charging is really needed.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-22, 12:31 PM   #399
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

It's always been similar .... supermarkets all tend to have petrol stations.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-22, 01:46 PM   #400
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ123 View Post
currently it is 2030 (UK) but Germany & Italy are both pushing to extend this if ICE can run on Synthetic fuels, and massively reduce emissions by 70-90%.

Depends what the synthetic fuels are made from, if they are like ethanol which causes far more emissions and environmental damage than oil does, then they can keep them. There are a lot of smoke an mirrors about this environmental stuff, like washing all the stuff you put in recycling bin can use more energy than is saved by recycling...

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote