SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 13-10-08, 07:38 PM   #1
krhall

Default BP Ultimate?

I know this issue has been aired before, but only (as far as I know) with an SV bias.

I always whacked a tank of 97 unleaded in the SV every 5-10 tanks full as I was lead to believe the detergents are good for the engine. So stuck with it knowing that there was no performance gains.

This morning I was almost on fumes on the CBR and pulled into a petrol station and decided to go for BP Ultimate, just thought about keeping the clean engine and nothing more.

The question is can the performance of the CBR-rr be affected by the better juice?

I got on it to come home and the thing felt more lively than before, I was thinking no can't be, but try as I might to be objective I definitely thought I felt a difference.

So did I?
Old 13-10-08, 07:40 PM   #2
zsv650

Default Re: BP Ultimate?

is it a higher octane thats probably what does it though i dont know didnt really do much for the curvy sv havnt tried it in the pointy though a rr's a different beast altogether.
Old 13-10-08, 07:46 PM   #3
Biker_Billy

Interesting you should mention this....on the CBR I have found that if I use super UL I get around 15-20 miles more to a tank.

I have also found this on some cars which I've tried it on too...

On the M3 I used to have, it did make it run sweeter, cant say I've noticed a difference in the CBR (apart from consumption).
Old 13-10-08, 07:50 PM   #4
krhall

I know that on a pointy it makes no performance differnce due to knock sensors or something like that but wondered if the Honda was different, it definitely felt it.
Old 13-10-08, 07:52 PM   #5
Blue_SV650S

Placebo
Old 13-10-08, 07:57 PM   #6
krhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_SV650S View Post
Placebo
Yeah I thought it may be so, but I didn't expect a difference in the first place which threw me a bit.
Old 13-10-08, 07:59 PM   #7
Biker_Billy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_SV650S View Post
Placebo
Maybe, but not in all circumstances...

I do a regular trip from Cornwall to Yorkshire - 330 miles each way, almost all motorway / dualie. If I use 97ron in the Audi, I tend to get 470 miles to a tank. If I use std UL I get 430. I don't notice any difference in performance, but the range improves.

Happens every time I try it.
Old 13-10-08, 08:02 PM   #8
rowdy

Read an article in a car mag once, they tested shell optimax, tesco 99ron, and bp ultimate. the car they used was an astra vxr, the tesco gave biggest gain narrowly from shell and the bp fuel actually decreased power slightly (bp claimed a dodgy batch of sample petrol). From what I can remember the tesco and shell gave the car an extra 10bhp (approx). The article also stated that the engine ecu takes about 60 miles for it to register the different fuel octane, so if bikes react in a similar way it is possible that you felt some gain,although maybe not straight away.
Silver pointy sk3, tail tidy, single seat cowl, fairing lowers, smoke double bubble screen, carbon hugger and front mudguard, full race M4 system, K&N filter, GSXR1000K2 forks, wheel and discs, GSXR750 calipers, HEL braided lines, TL1000s clip-ons, Gilles rearsets, Chinese cnc levers, led indies.
rowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-08, 08:04 PM   #9
Biker_Billy

I did find that BP ultimate made no difference in the M3, but optimax and other super UL's did give a slight improvement.
Old 13-10-08, 08:05 PM   #10
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker_Billy View Post
Maybe, but not in all circumstances...

I do a regular trip from Cornwall to Yorkshire - 330 miles each way, almost all motorway / dualie. If I use 97ron in the Audi, I tend to get 470 miles to a tank. If I use std UL I get 430. I don't notice any difference in performance, but the range improves.

Happens every time I try it.

Does your Audi have a knock sensor? ...

As for your pocket, is/was the Super unleaded <9% more expensive?