SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

View Poll Results: What do you think about a 80 mph limit on motorways
Yes 80 seems good 67 91.78%
No way 70 is just right 2 2.74%
No way 70 is far to fast anyway 0 0%
Not bothered 3 4.11%
The wife drives i don't get a say i just pay 0 0%
The hubby drives i don't get a say i just pay 0 0%
Help i'll have to ask my mum 1 1.37%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-07-03, 12:12 PM   #1
sexysi

Default 80 Mph Limit on the motorways

Read in MCN yesterday that if the tories get in that they will possibly raise the Motorway speed limit to 80 mph at night, when it is less busy.
What do you think.
I think that it would be a good idea, lets admit it who actually stays at 70mph on the motorway anyway. These days if your doing 70 in the outside lane you get flashed up by cars towing caravans to move over.
Your views
Sexysi
"The world is my oyster"
Old 10-07-03, 12:16 PM   #2
Sparkey

Default Speed Limit

But there's no option in the poll for "80??? 100MpH more like!"
Old 10-07-03, 12:42 PM   #3
graycat

Default how about...

how about implementing "highway laws" as apposed to a a 'code'.

not sure what I mean? I'm talking about taking a leaf out of the German's book. everyone knows there is a very high speed limit on the Autobans, but there is also a lot of other stuff that's good in their highway laws. anyone know how they can have 100mph speed limits on 2 lane motorways and still move traffic through far quicker and smoother.

here's the bits I like:

1) overtaking lane is just for that. over take and move in or get fined.
2) the faster traffic has the priority. so if you're overtaking get out of the way of the car coming up behind you.
3) there's no such thing as an accident, someone is always at fault.
4) speed limits are rigidly enforced. no-one speeds in built-up areas.
5) traffic getting on the Autoban must be let on

and just think how much money the government would get from all those on the spot fines.

well, that was my 2p worth.

T.
Old 10-07-03, 02:06 PM   #4
duffman

Just to add a point on the German driving, I used to work there and the standard of driving is just a little bit better. The Germans don't tend to buy there houses like us (they rent) so they tend to spend more on their cars so they care more about them.

They also obey rules out of instict. If there is a sign saying "outside lane closed in 2km" no one, I mean absolutely no one, drives in that lane once the first sign is seen. In the UK there would be a procession of Vectra, Mondeo, BMW drivers trying to cut in at the last minute...

I am not a great lover of Germans or anything (don't dislike them either) but German is a nice place to ride or drive.

Duffman
Old 10-07-03, 02:10 PM   #5
Viney
Mega Poster

Yeah, but 2 world wars and a cup....ahem..sorry i digress.

I like the idea. But i remember being on an autobahn once in me car, and was being tailgated by a sprinter(Merc van) at get this...135mph!!!!!!

Scary stuff, white van man at over 100mph!!!
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-03, 02:46 PM   #6
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Yeah and by thier German law, he has priority and you should get out of his way! Tailgating is one of the bad by-products of the 'faster traffic has priority' law - they don't slow down since they expect you to move.

Tailgaiting is also against the law over there.....
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-03, 07:06 PM   #7
TGB

Spanish speed cameras or monitors don't take your pic and fine you, they turn the lights red making you stop.
Brilliant idea.
Old 10-07-03, 07:56 PM   #8
Red ones
Mega Poster

Default 'contraversial' said John Tickle

Just because 'everyone' does 80mph does not make it right. 'Everyone' uses mobile phones in cars - is that right?

Sorry not enough justification there. I am not against an 80 limit, I am against ill thought out arguments. (Lots of people make ill thought out arguments - let's accept all ill thought out arguments...)

What was the reason for a 70 limit? Is it still relevant? Is there an increased risk at 80? Is it an acceptable risk?

If an R1/R6 rider can do wheelies while filtering, then why don't we all do it - it might become acceptable - even encouraged.....
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-03, 08:47 PM   #9
Prelude

Default y only 80mph

Red ones I think you are missing the point, The point is most people already do 80+ and it is proven to work so why not make it law, it may actually make things safer.

1 The people out there that don’t know that the speed limit on dual carriageways and motorways will have a chance to realise that the limit is changing and with all the publicity may stop pulling into the fast lane at 55mph and look surprised that cars and bikes are performing amassing stopping feats to avoid running into them.

2 If it is accepted that the people coming from behind you are going at 80mph it may make people take a second look and actually judge the speed before moving out on that person.

Just look at when the 70mph limit was introduced and the standard of car then, I think you may have answered the question. As for mobile phones they are totally different, you can’t have the same level of control with just one hand and your mind on a conversation.

Look on the bright side of it they could look at making up there lost revenue from speeding fines from towns and built up areas where speed actually makes a difference.

As for me I do many miles on the motorway and rarely travel bellow 90mph, other than people not driving with due care and attention I never have any speed related incidents and in my modern car I can cope will all that the idiots out there can throw at me. In my opinion the limit should be at least 90mph this would greatly improve congestion and also the standard of driving on UK roads.

OK I think I have ranted enough
Old 10-07-03, 11:10 PM   #10
rommi

there is no granularity or common sense in our road laws.
noone drives at 30 in built up areas unless they pass a camera.

i like the German way, 100+ when you can, 20kmh in residential areas. nice.

it is absurd that on an empty M1 at 3am you are stuck at 70, yet can do 30 + 2mph + 10% + speedo error which means you can do 40 down a single lane parking either side of the road residential area.

the system needs an overhaul, and the tories get my vote.
well they would anyway, cos Blair has failed on education, immigration, crime, health, pretty much everything. hes a c*ck