SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 27-10-06, 09:27 PM   #1
northwind
Mega Poster

Default Clutch not releasing right...

This has happened occasionally for a while, but it's worse now. If I ever sit the bike in 1st with the clutch in- at junctions, etc- it has a habit of not releasing smoothly- it comes out in a mighty jerk. This is the only time it ever happens, never does it if I go from neutral, or on the move- only when it's coming from a standstill, and it's been clutched in for at least a few seconds. The cable and lifter are all in good shape, and it's adjusted right- checked all that, and besides, it wouldn't work right the rest of the time otherwise... The plates are in fair condition, plenty of thickness left, and the basket's notched but not badly. Any suggestions for what to start on?
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-06, 07:36 AM   #2
John Burt

If it was me I'd clean the plain plates, might be a build up of friction material on them, and smooth out the notches in the basket. I know it's a strip-down job so if you can live with it wait until the next time your performing open heart surgery - which knowing you Northy won't be long !!
Old 28-10-06, 08:29 AM   #3
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Also check the release bearing and thrust washers.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-06, 08:42 AM   #4
ugp

Does it only do this i first gear? Mine does exactly the same but in second, not first.

Ben
Old 28-10-06, 02:15 PM   #5
northwind
Mega Poster

Hmm. It probably would do it in other gears, I think, but I tend not to sit at junctions in second so I'm not sure. Interesting point though, since in most other riding I hardly use first, so maybe that would hide a different problem

Ideas taken on board folks. There's a clutch still in the scrap engine in the back of the garage that's probably in good shape, I'll pull it out and see how it compares... I was avoiding that since I've no idea what condition it's in but it might be useful for elimination.
Old 28-10-06, 06:04 PM   #6
tinpants
Ubique

Try new clutch springs?

P'raps?

Or not!!??
Old 28-10-06, 06:32 PM   #7
21QUEST
Mega Poster

Default Re: Clutch not releasing right...

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind
...... The cable and lifter are all in good shape, ............
Northy, this may indeed sound like a silly question but when you say they are in good shape did you take the lifter off and apart. Cable as well may look good and even feel relatively smooth but removed from both ends(lifter and lever) may not be.

All this from my recent experience similar to yours. The cable didn't feel too bad but when I took it of the lever end to for lubing/checking adjustment, it definitely wasn't right. Since I had the cover off I decided to check the lifter. Took it off and took it apart and it need to be cleaned out. I was surprised as it was a brand new lifter I put in not that long ago.

It might be worth checking the above again unless you have of course already done that. In that case just ignore me

Cheers
Ben

ps: Be careful with the little balls eh...
Blue, mate, having read a lot of your stuff I'd say 'in your head' is unknown territory for most of us
21QUEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-06, 07:24 PM   #8
northwind
Mega Poster

Yep, I've had lifter problems before so that was the first thing I checked, removed and lubed the cable at the same time... Not a daft question at all, it was my most obvious suspect too

Bellerophon, they're fairly new as it is... Well within runout.
Old 28-10-06, 10:03 PM   #9
tinpants
Ubique

Just a thought. Fairysnuff