SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 09-03-07, 06:11 PM   #11
El Saxo

Default Re: Childhood Memories.

Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our mother would kill us and dance about on our graves singing Hallelujah.

Taxi....
Old 09-03-07, 09:55 PM   #12
seedy100

Another one without central heating, originally we had an open fire.
We used to hold a sheet of newspaper over the opening to "Draw" the fire. It was a major step up when we got a "Gas Poker" - anyone else remember them?
A special treat was toast or crumpet done by the fire.

The worst aspect was both parents smoking like chimneys, I spent most of my childhood with Asthma or Bronchitus.

After leaving home at 18 I have never had either again!
Old 10-03-07, 09:17 AM   #13
Jabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedy100 View Post
We used to hold a sheet of newspaper over the opening to "Draw" the fire. It was a major step up when we got a "Gas Poker" - anyone else remember them?
Gas Poker....... you were lucky

Certainly remember the "newspaper over the opening" part. All worthwhile at Christmas when we had roast chestnuts
Old 10-03-07, 10:17 AM   #14
timwilky
Mega Poster

I was going to write a huge amount about my somewhat privileged upbringing in the 60s. But realised that world collapsed for me in the 70s. I came from a wealthy family and lived in a large house, attended private schools etc. So 70s family upheaval left me suddenly attending the local comprehensive and meeting girls for the first time.

I turned out normal. And probably more resilient than most, as I had realised at an early age that the world owes you nothing. You make your own mistakes and live with them.

It doesn’t matter who you are and what you did as a child. For all, it is a time of learning. It forms your character and beliefs. I doubt there are many who can look back at their childhood without remembering it as a happy time.
Old 10-03-07, 10:20 AM   #15
tigersaw
Mega Poster

Brings back memories..
We too had no heating, or even hot water for that matter unless we boiled it. I also remember when we had rabbit or pheasant for dinner, having to line up the lead shot on the side of the plate, the one with the most being the winner.
tigersaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-07, 03:08 PM   #16
Richie
fantabulas
Mega Poster

I'll never forget that first day at t'pit.
Me an' mi father worked a 72 hour shift, then wi walked home 43 mile through t'snow in us bare feet, huddled inside us clothes med out o' old sacks.
Eventually we trudged over t'hill until wi could see t'street light twinklin' in our village.
Mi father smiled down at mi through t'icicles hangin' off his nose. "Nearly home now lad", he said.
We stumbled into t'house and stood there freezin' cold and tired out, shiverin' and miserable, in front o' t' meagre fire.
Any road, mi mam says "Cheer up, lads. I've got you some nice brown bread and butter for yer tea."
Ee, mi father went crackers. He reached out and gently pulled mi mam towards 'im by t'throat. "You big fat, idle ugly wart", he said. "You gret useless spawny-eyed parrot-faced wazzock." ('E had a way wi words, mi father. He'd bin to college, y'know). "You've been out playin' bingo all afternoon instead o' gettin' some proper snap ready for me an' this lad", he explained to mi poor, little, purple-faced mam.
Then turnin' to me he said "Arthur", (He could never remember mi name), "here's half a crown. Nip down to t'chip 'oyl an' get us a nice piece o' 'addock for us tea. Man cannot live by bread alone."
He were a reyt tater, mi father.
He said as 'ow workin' folk should have some dignity an' pride an' self respect, an' as 'ow they should come home to summat warm an' cheerful.
An' then he threw mi mam on t'fire.
We didn't 'ave no tellies or shoes or bedclothes.
We med us own fun in them days.
Do you know, when I were a lad you could get a tram down into t'town, buy three new suits an' an ovvercoat, four pair o' good boots, go an' see George Formby at t'Palace Theatre, get blind drunk, 'ave some steak an' chips, bunch o' bananas an' three stone o' monkey nuts an' still 'ave change out of a farthing.
We'd lots o' things in them days they 'aven't got today - rickets, diptheria, Hitler and my, we did look well goin' to school wi' no backside in us trousers an' all us little 'eads painted purple because we 'ad ringworm.
They don't know they're born today!!!

Taken from Tony Capstick
Old 11-03-07, 02:08 PM   #17
kitkat

sitting by grans open fire. getting tartan leg. then having to go to outside loo where there was a huge spider that sat and watched you as you peed