SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 01-11-11, 09:11 PM   #1
Tim in Belgium

Default How many vehicles can you run and enjoy at once?

I've accidentally done too much shopping, the current fleet has grown out of control.

First issue is I only have one parking space outside my house on the canal, nearest non-permitted one is a good 20 minutes walk away!

Current fleet is:

Octavia Skoda 1.8T Laurin & Klement estate - hopefully being sold

BMW E36 328i Touring, quite slammed on wide compomotives, manifold conversion, decat, swift - needs another odd bit of paint and pad change before I can sell it, and a good clean.

Mazda MX5 S-Special - seems to have a bit of an issue after not being used since Rockingham, keeps dying a few hundred metres down the road then I push it home to my parking space! But apart from that in good nick. Originally bought as I didn't have a bike this year in the UK. great fun on the raod. Makes me smile.

VW T4 "Bang Bus" for transporting bikes next year, and being used as my daily as it's ace fun.

Suzuki SV650s - bought for road biking next year and UK trackdays, my old bike and being picked up this weekend (living in a mates garage over winter), big fast bikes aren't as much fun on the road, where as this is swift enough but needs riding to get there, rather than a sneeze and twist of the wrist to go 3 figures.

And soon I'll be buying an R1/GSXR750/other for next year's 'Ring tool.

I think this is too many vehicles with no garage and 1 parking space! The plan so far is to finish selling the Skoda, get the BMW fixed and flogged on.

The question then is do I keep or flog the MX5? I'd have to wait until spring to get a decent price for it. I'm just wondering if it'll get used between Ring trips and work trips out east before my big move. I was toying with keeping this when I finally head East for trip backs etc. However with a couple of bikes will I ever really use it?

So sensible .orgers, what should I keep and what/when should I sell?

How many vehicles do you keep on top of?
Old 01-11-11, 09:18 PM   #2
maviczap
Mega Poster

Default Re: How many vehicles can you run and enjoy at once?

Get rid of the Mazda its impracticle and can't do much with it, you're selling the Skoda so thats 2 gone.

But the other 2 you can do loads with, the t4 will be used for transporting the bikes won't it?

Depends if you need the Beemer, as the t4 is almost car like anyway?

Just selling my campervan, as its not being used as a campervan, but need 2 cars for ferrying children around

Only got the Sv now, sold the Honda crunch, but wifey could do with a moped

Last edited by maviczap; 01-11-11 at 09:20 PM.
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-11, 09:20 PM   #3
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

We've got 4 between two of us.

Audi A6 Avant
Maverick 4 x 4
My GSXR
Liz's Ducati

Keeping on top of what needs servicing / MOT / Tax when is a PIA, we have a wall planner in the kitchen with it all written on.

Insurance for the Maverick and Audi is with Admiral Multicar which saved us soem money and allows us to keep building our no claims up.

GSXR & Ducati we havent used for ages, but they arent hurting in the garage.

Its better now than it was before we had

Ford Focus
Ford Fiesta that the Maverick replaced.
2 x SV's
My GSXR
Liz's Ducati
Liz's 125

That realy was a mare, at least we have a garage to get the bikes in.

To be honest, the Maverick and Audi do different things, Audi is for comfort and long distance trips and the Maverick is used for pottering around / taking the dogs out in.

We just pick the best tool for the job we want to do. I actually really like driving the Maverick and I dont want to part with it, despite its **** poor MPG.

We should have sold the SV's and the 125 way before we did, we didnt use them and I didnt like my SV after riding the GSXR.

Basically if its 4 wheeled and you arent using it and are stuck for space then I'd sell the MX5 if I were you. But its the wrong time of year to flog it, so I'd keep it till the spring and then try and sell it on then, in the meantime use the time you have to get the Skoda and BMW sorted and sold on.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition

Last edited by fizzwheel; 01-11-11 at 09:29 PM.
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-11, 09:20 PM   #4
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post
Get rid of the Mazda its impracticle and can't do much with it, you're selling the Skoda so thats 2 gone.

But the other 2 you can do loads with, the t4 will be used for transporting the bikes won't it?

This!

Just jack up the Beemer 40mm and your sorted if you want a 4 wheeled ring tool

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-11, 09:25 PM   #5
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

We did have four bikes (two SVs, the VRap, and the ZZR1400)and the Freelander, all tax'd and tested, but eventually had to get rid of Dave the SV, as I couldn't justify having three bikes of my own.

When I was with the ex, we had nine bikes between us, but half of them were in varying states of repair. Twas quite a collection!!

Get rid o the cars.....and have more bikes Tim!!

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-11, 09:26 PM   #6
Tim in Belgium

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post
Yep the T4 is quite car like, but the bimmer is nice (and swift), especially on a motorway cruise... but some rot may appear in the future so I should flog it on before it gets a hold....

Just having the van could be a stretch, but is just as good at the MX5, if not better on the motorway!!
Old 01-11-11, 09:28 PM   #7
Tim in Belgium

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsmith View Post
This!

Just jack up the Beemer 40mm and your sorted if you want a 4 wheeled ring tool
The beemer would need too many mods to make a good ring tool, suspension/brakes/proper sized wheels/cage/harnesses and then there's the insurance issues
Old 01-11-11, 09:41 PM   #8
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim in Belgium View Post
Yep the T4 is quite car like, but the bimmer is nice (and swift), especially on a motorway cruise... but some rot may appear in the future so I should flog it on before it gets a hold....

Just having the van could be a stretch, but is just as good at the MX5, if not better on the motorway!!
Yep, I know when I our works VW van long way, its ok, but because its not got the same sound insulation as a car its not as nice, which makes it quite tiring.

Mind you the Transits we had were even worse for cab noise
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-11, 10:01 PM   #9
sv4me
Mega Poster

Flog the MX5 and use the money for Ring passes. You'll need it! How much is it now? I nearly shat a kidney when I saw the prices a few years back

I've got an illness I inherited from my Dad that makes me collect bikes, irrespective of cost or space to put them!

Me and the missus have got a car apiece
I've got 2 road bikes, 1 is taxed and MOT'd for the road. The other is currently SORN'd as its my track day tool.
I've got 2 more that will stay SORN'd until next spring, and even then i'll only use them sparingly as they're collectors items
I've got a DT125, road legal for greenlaning on and a CR125 that needs nothing doing other than finding space (which we have none) to put it
And i've just bought a Vespa for the missus

I also look after my Dads "fleet" he currently has 4 on the go

Keeping all that lot up to date with tax, MOT and servicing is like a part time job in itself
sv4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-11, 10:07 PM   #10
husky03
Mega Poster

two cars, bike and i'm after another -a 90 landy pick up.
husky03 is offline   Reply With Quote