SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 30-07-17, 09:06 PM   #21
Dave-the-rave

Default Re: Electric Cars

Never the less. The days of petrol and diesel for domestic use are numbered. Rightly or wrongly.
Old 30-07-17, 10:28 PM   #22
Red ones
Mega Poster

I don't know what you are all worried about with cars. I got passed by a Zero DSR the other morning!!
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-17, 08:31 AM   #23
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by punyXpress View Post
Zoe battery lease @£69/month
That's more than I spend on diesel for my shonky Skoda!
This!

We were in the market for a new small car last October (previous one written off) and looked at electric. The Renault Zoe ticked all the boxes of what we needed the car to do but buying the battery made the car ridiculously expensive and the battery lease option of £70 pcm is more than double the cost of the petrol we put in the little Skoda we bought instead. I didn't even look at the cost of depreciation, there was no need when the running costs were so high compared to a conventional petrol vehicle.

Having said that, I'm leasing my next main car as I think the game will change massively in the next few years. This is a way of hedging my bets as to whether EVs take off and become mainstream and not losing a bundle on a conventional car.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Last edited by Luckypants; 31-07-17 at 09:48 AM.
Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-17, 08:31 AM   #24
Chris_SVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red ones View Post
I don't know what you are all worried about with cars. I got passed by a Zero DSR the other morning!!
I've been looking at these with a view to maybe buying one
Chris_SVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-17, 09:36 AM   #25
L3nny
Mega Poster

An electric bike would probably be the ideal solution, a shame they are so expensive and there are no dealers nearby
Old 31-07-17, 09:51 AM   #26
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants View Post
<snip>battery lease option of £70 pcm <snip>
Another thing that put us off buying, based on the above. Come re-sale time in 10 years or so (second car is kept a long time as it does very few miles) the target buyers are likely to be young drivers looking for a first car or cheap second car for someone - both types of buyers are likely to be completely put off by the high cost of the battery lease.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-17, 10:08 AM   #27
Talking Heads

Quote:
Originally Posted by L3nny View Post
An electric bike would probably be the ideal solution, a shame they are so expensive and there are no dealers nearby
Some time ago I did a study into the overall costs of a Zero S and a Honda NC750S DCT.
Based on annual mileage of 10,000 miles, towards the end of year 3 the Zero S worked out the cheaper option.
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-17, 12:06 PM   #28
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants View Post
Another thing that put us off buying, based on the above. Come re-sale time in 10 years or so (second car is kept a long time as it does very few miles) the target buyers are likely to be young drivers looking for a first car or cheap second car for someone - both types of buyers are likely to be completely put off by the high cost of the battery lease.
Buy a year old leaf without the battery lease .winner
Old 31-07-17, 03:11 PM   #29
ophic
Mega Poster

What happens if you run out of charge? The range is currently quite limited so I can imagine this happening relatively frequently. You can't just walk/hike/get a taxi to the nearest petrol station and buy a plastic fuel can. You can't take the battery out of the car because it'll be too heavy. You can't carry charge.

So does the electric AA van get fitted with a huge heavy battery to charge you up or do they rely on something smaller and lighter like a fossil fuel powered generator?

Do electric vehicles have a neutral? Cos without a clutch, you might also come to a rapid stop in the middle of traffic.
Old 31-07-17, 03:28 PM   #30
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ophic View Post
What happens if you run out of charge? The range is currently quite limited so I can imagine this happening relatively frequently. You can't just walk/hike/get a taxi to the nearest petrol station and buy a plastic fuel can. You can't take the battery out of the car because it'll be too heavy. You can't carry charge.

So does the electric AA van get fitted with a huge heavy battery to charge you up or do they rely on something smaller and lighter like a fossil fuel powered generator?

Do electric vehicles have a neutral? Cos without a clutch, you might also come to a rapid stop in the middle of traffic.
All those are relevant questions, every electric vehicle test I have seen has mentioned something I have never thought about with an ICE vehicle, a new term has come into our language 'range anxiety' and one tester even came up with the term of 'rubber bucket' for an EV battery (you never really know how much is in it). A range of 300 miles at a steady 50 mph soon comes down to just over 200 miles at motorway speeds - never had that happen with an ICE vehicle, I know from looking at the fuel gauge just how much fuel I have left and how far it will take me, pretty much regardless of temperature (which affects battery capacity) or how fast I go (within reason). The fact that you can't just phone your mate to bring a can of petrol is worry - better get AA relay membership, I bet tow truck operators are rubbing their hands at the prospect of upsurge in future business. As batteries age their capacity drops, as they get hotter their capacity drops, on a cold day they don't want to release power................

And the cost is another thing, spend and extra 20 grand to save 5 grand on fuel and have the vehicle worth less than half what you paid for it after 12 to 18 months, no thanks.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote