SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 22-08-05, 07:00 PM   #1
Banus

Default Pillion Advice Please

Passed my test 7 months ago and have built up enough experience / courage to consider inviting a pillion to take the plunge. Had plaenty of requests but always turned em down to date....after considering their welfare and my bikes current good looks.
For those who take a pillion - how different does it feel to solo riding ? and what should I look for. Any hints or tips would be gratefully received....Ta
Old 22-08-05, 07:09 PM   #2
Steve

IF the pillion is a babe then may i suggest you polish the rear seat. then when you brake you can get close. No to be honest smoothnesssss is important and if you use the back brake sooner this settles the back end and helps with extra weight.
also if your pillion has more expereance than you you might find they steer the bike to there lines.
but remember SMOOOOTTTTHHHH.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-05, 07:09 PM   #3
mattSV
Mega Poster

Just posted a reply to the same post in Biking Issues

2013 - 2016 Triumph Explorer 1200
2016 - Ducati Multistrada DVT S
mattSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-05, 07:32 PM   #4
Fuzz

Just go easy at low speeds as the bike can start wobbling until you're used to it. It doesn't take too long to get your balance back, but go easy on the brakes until you're comfortable stopping. Slip the clutch between gear changes and it should go much smoother for yourself and your passenger. Remember to leave longer distances from the car infront as it will take longer to stop.
Old 22-08-05, 08:45 PM   #5
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

gentle on throttle, gentle on brakes, gentle with gear changes

Actually gently with everything, remember bike will take longer to speed up and slow down two up.

Just take it slow and steady and you'll be fine

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-05, 09:31 PM   #6
Quiff Wichard
Mega Poster

suspension may need changing

Tyres likewise ! pressures

Take it easssssyy...acceleration will be slower- stopping distance longer !

brace both feet on the ground before pillion mounts and have a clear discussion with them first that they do not get on until you nod to say so- I apply the fron brake when the pillion mounts.

likewise- DO NOT the pillion get off when you stop until you say its OK..you are the boss..or the bike will fall.. and always always get the pillion to dismount pavement side and in a safe position.

invest in a non slip cover for the pillion seat- save them sliding in to your back..also if same gender rider and pillion sometimes can be a personal space issue when having to hold onto waist - so "love handles" are superb !! and only about £15.

Dont ride like a loon !! you are not now responsible for only your own safety!!

ensure that the pillion can touch the footpegs and drill them to keep them on the footpegs! and not trail near wheel /chain etc.

have a code!!...tap on leg+ need to stop.
left side tap - please slow down !!..
or I dnt like it - STOP in a safe place and let me off !!!..because ...without an intercom you CANNOT converse when on the move !

ifyou can before you take someone as pillion...if you know an experienced and safe rider who is uded to pillions then be a pillion yourself for an hour !! and see what it is like ....

main thing remember- weight changes, ratios of everything change!! it is different !!..you have another person on yer bike !!..... and you have to be aware of that responsibility above all else.
Old 23-08-05, 10:04 AM   #7
trickywoos

Yup, I would probably say take an experienced pillion out with you for a ride first - get used to all of the extra weight/braking etc......

From what I hear, it's pretty hard work taking an inexperienced pillion out with you - so prob best not to do it until you are fully confident.

There's no point going out on the bike with a pillion but no confidence.