SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 09-12-08, 08:50 AM   #1
phuk72

Default Crash bungs and cutting the fairing

I'm after a bit of advice (I'm new )

Have done a bit of a search and found some recommendations for crash bungs and it seems thatthe fairing needs to be cut (it's a curvy btw). What I'd like to know is if I also have to cut the lower fairing as well?

Anyone fitted bungs to an SV with the lower fairing? Do I have to do some cutting? Anyone got any tips for how to do this - presume a cone drill is the way to go?
Old 09-12-08, 09:07 AM   #2
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Default Re: Crash bungs and cutting the fairing

If you buy the new style R & G crash bungs, you dont have to cut the fairing to fit them as they do a set for a bike with lowers.

http://www.rg-racing.com/browseBike/.../CP0122BL.aspx

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-08, 09:10 AM   #3
phuk72

Thanks for the info. I've got R&G bungs on my other bike so I think that's where my cash is going
Old 09-12-08, 09:15 AM   #4
hovis

r&gs are crap on the curvy

motosliders are the peoples choice
Old 09-12-08, 09:17 AM   #5
phuk72

Quote:
Originally Posted by hovis View Post

why?

and do you have to cut the fairings with the motosliders? Any links to sellers?
Old 09-12-08, 09:27 AM   #6
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

The R & G's have a bit of a design flaw and in an imapct the bolts tend to bend. ( I think thats what the problem is, its well documented on the forum if you search )

Motosliders dont have this problem, but you do have to cut the fairing, Also you cant buy replacement bits and pieces for the R & G's, so if you bust a bolt for example you cant just buy a replacement bolt you have to buy a whole new set, Whereas IIRC you can buy spares for the motosliders which makes putting things right after a crash easier and cheaper.

Also I think the motosliders are a little cheaper.

Of course the best way to avoid all this faff, is not to crash in the first place

Its a choice only you can make, motosliders with better crash protection but fairing cuttage, or R & G slightly less crash protection and no fairing cuttage.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-08, 10:18 AM   #7
Viney
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hovis View Post

Not exactly ture Hovis. There are plenty of SV's out there with R&G's on and most work.

Motosliders are an alternitive and are now favoured by people.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-08, 10:55 AM   #8
Dangerous Dave

Personally I would get a set of Motosliders, either from Nate at Motosliders or from Blair at SV Racing Parts.

The shape of the bung and the strength of the bolt are the two main weakness' to the R&G design. When you over come these two issues, a few more come to light which is why I do not recommend them especially as an engineer at R&G will agree that it is a flawed design.

A crash bung will not stop all damage, but 90% of accidents I would say that a decent crash bung had kept the repair costs down and possibly saved some write offs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viney View Post
There are plenty of SV's out there with R&G's on and most work.
The older design maybe, but the only ones available from R&G now are the flawed design ones which have a habit of failing at lower speed offs.

It is also worth mentioning that there have been no failures of Motosliders.

To fit Motosliders to a Curvy with lower faiiring only the lower fairing requires a bit of modification. This can be done easliy with a flap sanding wheel....

Old 09-12-08, 11:56 AM   #9
phuk72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
Personally I would get a set of Motosliders, either from Nate at Motosliders or from Blair at SV Racing Parts.

The shape of the bung and the strength of the bolt are the two main weakness' to the R&G design. When you over come these two issues, a few more come to light which is why I do not recommend them especially as an engineer at R&G will agree that it is a flawed design.

A crash bung will not stop all damage, but 90% of accidents I would say that a decent crash bung had kept the repair costs down and possibly saved some write offs.

The older design maybe, but the only ones available from R&G now are the flawed design ones which have a habit of failing at lower speed offs.

It is also worth mentioning that there have been no failures of Motosliders.

To fit Motosliders to a Curvy with lower faiiring only the lower fairing requires a bit of modification. This can be done easliy with a flap sanding wheel....

Thanks for all the info. The motosliders in the pic don't look as if they stick out very far - not sure they'd lastlong with a slide before grinding down the fairing?
Old 09-12-08, 12:03 PM   #10
Dangerous Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by phuk72 View Post
Thanks for all the info. The motosliders in the pic don't look as if they stick out very far - not sure they'd lastlong with a slide before grinding down the fairing?
Oh, trust me they will last and they are made from a tough material.

They stick out further than you think...

...and will easily protect damage coming to the bike. Even if the R&G's did stick out further, they fold in seconds so they end up sticking out less anyway.