SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 07-02-09, 12:15 AM   #11
BigFootIsBlurry

Default Re: Anyone with experience of a ZX-6r ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsv650 View Post
and bear in mind it'll cost you big on insurance.
Less than a tenner a month difference going on the quotes I've had so far, which I think is downright excellent, but then I'm used of paying four figures to insure my car

2000 curvy, yellow and naked. Gone but not forgotten.
BigFootIsBlurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-09, 12:15 AM   #12
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFootIsBlurry View Post
I'm recent pass but 22 so not restricted, I do want to make a sensible choice though rather than just the fastest thing I can afford.
Unless you're going to get a 125 or 250cc, there's no reason you'll findyourself riding a G1 faster than you would an SV
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-09, 12:16 AM   #13
zsv650

only one way to find out if it suit's you or not and thats have a go.
Old 07-02-09, 12:19 AM   #14
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
I'm recent pass but 22 so not restricted, I do want to make a sensible choice though rather than just the fastest thing I can afford.
No offence intended, but being 22 does not mean you are not restricted. Being 22 and doing a DAS (Direct Access) course and test means you are not restricted. Being 22 and doing a standard test still means you are restricted to 33bhp for two years.

If you are not restricted, there is no more reason for you to be scraped up off a ZX6-R than an SV - you are in charge of the loud handle.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-09, 12:19 AM   #15
BigFootIsBlurry

Cheers guys, sound advice all round I think. There doesn't appear to be anything to match the org in terms of helpful people for the Zx though

Old 07-02-09, 12:21 AM   #16
BigFootIsBlurry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants View Post
No offence intended

If you are not restricted, there is no more reason for you to be scraped up off a ZX6-R than an SV - you are in charge of the loud handle.
No offence taken, just happy for the input. It was a DAS I did.

Old 07-02-09, 12:29 AM   #17
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Quote:
Cheers guys, sound advice all round I think. There doesn't appear to be anything to match the org in terms of helpful people for the Zx though
that is almost true, don't worry, stick around as we are still trying to rename this place Kawasaki.org - there was 4 Kwaks at Soho tonight, the closest thing to a Suzuki was made by CCM
So feel free to ask your kwak questions here
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-09, 04:57 AM   #18
rictus01
Mega Poster

Having looked over the whole thread; the overall opinion seems to be both bikes would be as safe for a novice as each other.......

this isn't true, whilst the ZX is a very nice bike, competent and composed it is still a ss600 and far less forgiving than an SV, so if you're not going to make any mistakes or errors in your riding then it won't be a problem, however the SV will give you greater warning and is far easier to save, so the out come will be less painful (as well as expensive), not to mention you'll be riding around normally limiting far more the ZX than the SV.

I'd say the ZX6 was the sensible choice of it's type (that being a 8-10yr old SS600), but the SV is far more sensible as a learning tool, The choice is obviously your, it's whether you want the better bike or the better bike for you now as given the two options they aren't the same.

Cheers Mark
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-09, 09:23 AM   #19
andyb

I had an SV when I first passed my DAS and have an 03 ZX6 now. I have to agree with Rictus on this one. The SV, IMO, is much easier to ride and would be far better to learn how to ride properly before you step up to a SS bike.

I remember picking the SV up after passing my test then riding it two hours home, by the time I got there I just wanted to get off the thing it was so scary! If that had been the ZX6 I'm positive I'd have never got home....thats just me though.

I'd advise getting an SV for a couple of years before getting a SS bike. Saying all that my next door neighbour has just bought an 08 R6, he's on his CBT today!

Last edited by andyb; 07-02-09 at 09:40 AM.
Old 07-02-09, 10:50 AM   #20
thefallenangel

when you can pick up a 3/4 year old pointy for 2k i'd go with that as SV's tend to drop in value big time the first 3 years then after that the amount you lose is minimal.

Even if you keep the SV for a year and then chop to a ZX6 then you'll be 23, 1 yr ncb + license so the insurance won't be a sting at all and according to bike the 05 ZX6 will be a a bit cheaper which is the last bike before the EU emissions crap really kicked in.

And i'm 20, had the SV 18 months, taking renewal out now with 2 yr NCB + License which is £265 TPF+T.

Last edited by thefallenangel; 07-02-09 at 10:53 AM.